07 August 2012

b-town

bloomington, indiana is my hometown...howeva, i haven't lived there in a while, so every time i go back it feels completely different...stores change, restaurants change, road construction gets in everyone's way, etc...
i drove from chicago to bloomington, it was my first time driving in about two and a half years...(just in case you are wondering, yes, my license is still valid)...i've gone that long without driving at least once before, it was again very strange to be behind the wheel...since i don't drive very often, my idea of speed is rather slow compared to most drivers on the road...
i drove straight to my sister's flat...since she and mom came to korea, it had "only" been 14 months since we'd seen each other...my sister let me stay with her while i was in bloomington, which was fabulous...
my visit to bloomington was all about catching up with family and friends...having breakfasts, lunches, dinners, with as many people as i could see...other than getting together with people, i wasn't very active...i'd had the idea that i would get out and take photos, but that didn't really happen...the photos i've used in this entry are all from small towns in the state...
it's always interesting to go back to bloomington because it changes so much...my high school friends are married and have kids, my former bosses are still awesome...i almost always do a lot of shopping while i'm in bloomington, simply because i know i can get stuff i can't get in ukraine/korea/whereva i'm living...i go to doctors because i can ask questions and get answers i understand...
bloomington is a university town...it's a big university, over 40,000 students on the bloomington campus...it's a big research university, with a bit international population...all of this means bloomington is more liberal than than other towns in southern indiana...i love it:)

No comments: