08 July 2013

argentina: more BA

my next day started with another morning walk...on the way to the asado I'd seen the Japanese gardens, I decided I would walk in that direction and see if there was anything to see...from what I could see from the outside, the garden isn't big...maybe I will actually enter that garden another day...
I walked backed to the flat, had lunch, then didn't do much of anything for a couple hours...since bei and Miranda are leaving buenos aires soon, they were both trying to figure out exact travel plans; it was interesting for me to listen...if I did hash tags, that conversation definitely would've fallen under firstworldproblems...
I walked with Miranda to her Spanish lesson, then wandered around the neighborhood for a while...recoleta is a well off neighborhood in general...smaller, more boutique-like stores...I visited the bakery Miranda had shown me the other day again...I thought I'd made progress in self control and portion control, but this visit was an epic fail in both of those...yummy though:)
I met up with two other girls at a bar for happy hour while Miranda and bei went to dinner with two of their other friends...this happy hour had been set up by the American embassy as a sort of 'pre 4th of July' event...of course I didn't drink, but it was fun to be there...
after happy hour we went to dinner...I think we got to a restaurant around 2130, and our food arrived at 2200...or maybe both of those times were later? Argentines eat dinner much later than any other culture I've experienced...the restaurant we chose wasn't particularly argentinean, but we enjoyed the evening...
I was expecting a friend to arrive in the early morning hours, so I slept on the sofa...unfortunately, arrival time came and went, but no friend...I ended up being in and out of sleep until 1100...Miranda was awesome, and had set up an appointment for me to get my hair cut...it was very much needed, I hadn't had a haircut since the end of last September!! A lady from Northern Ireland did the trimming, I loved it:)
When I got home from the haircut, Bo had finally arrived...he spent 4 days on a bus to get here from southern Peru!!! It was only supposed to be a two day trip, but it didn't work out that way at all...
After resting for a bit, we went to dinner at a place called la Cabrera...so good...we ate at happy hour, (1900) which gave us 40% off, woo hoo...lizette joined us near the end of the meal...then we walked to a nearby bar, the other three split a bottle of wine...from there we went to one more bar, I think the name translates to king of cups? The interior decor is supposed to be Moroccan...I had a yummy non alcoholic cocktail, the others split another bottle of wine:)
The next morning I slept until 0930!! That's the latest I've slept in a while...eventually everyone else got up as well, we started shopping...Miranda and bei were planning to host a goodbye party that night, Bo was going to be doing the cooking...in Argentina you don't usually get all your groceries from one location...we went to two vegetable shops, a cheese and salami shop, a pasta shop, a supermarket, and the butcher...it took hours, but I had fun taking a few photos and watching Miranda and Bo and food...Miranda and Bo are both foodies:)
After returning home, Bo started to prep...chopping and mixing and whateva else...
I ended up taking a 4hr nap, oops...I only expected to sleep an hour or two...people started arriving after 2100, and after figuring out how to lower the grill closer to the coals, the grill was started, and everyone had fun:)
I think I went to sleep around 2 in the morning?
The next morning I was up earlier than anyone else, I'm used to this...eventually Bo and I hopped on a bus so he could see la boca...the weather was completely different from when Miranda took me, but there were more people wandering around...we both took a few photos, enjoying the colour of the area...in some ways the tourism of the area ruins the awesomeness of what is there...the buildings are lovely, but the photos would be heaps better if you didn't see the souvenir shops and outdoor cafes...oh well...
There had been thoughts of going to a wine tasting that evening, but Bo's tummy was playing games, and I needed a night with a 'normal' bedtime, so we stayed in...
the next day i needed to exchange money (have i explained the blue market in argentina?) so we started the day on florida st...from there we walked to plaza de mayo, then to the congreso nacional building...in the plaza de mayo is a small tent area set up to let soldiers who faught in the falklands war hang out...the issue is still very raw for many argentineans, and you have to be very careful talking to them...
at some point as we were walking along the street between the plaza de mayo and congresso nacional, we crossed avenido 9 de julio...argentineans like to say this is the biggest street in the world...i don't know how these things are measured, but it certainly is a big street...lots of lanes...somewhere along our walking path we stopped into a small pizza place for an afternoon snack...yum...
across the street from congresso nacional was an old abandoned building that must've been amazing in it's heyday...you can still see the rundown yet amazing exterior decoration...at that point we looked at the map and realized we had a nearly straight walk home, down avenido callao...if i had been by myself, i don't think i would've walked home, as it was dark, and i didn't know what kind of area the street would go through...
that night bo and i joined lissette, rafael, bei, and miranda at a yummy italian place for dinner...
the next morning bo and i went for a morning walk, stopping first in the cemetary...bo hadn't seen it yet, and since it's huge, i was keen for another wander...after a bit of searching, we found the tomb of eva peron, who is buried under her maiden name of duarte...
after a nap back in the flat, and an afternoon snack of ice cream, bo and i hopped on a bus to get to the ferryboat office to buy tickets...it took us a while to find the building (oddly enough, lonely planet had a better map than google!) and we bought tickets for the next day...
from there we walked to the neighborhood of san telmo...it's pretty touristy, and is mentioned in the guidebook as having a street market on one day of the week...by the time we got there, the sun had gone down, the market was winding down...bo found a bookstore in which he could exchange his peru guidebook, i enjoyed looking around...no matter how convenient a kindle is, nothing will ever replace the feeling of a real book...as we walked around the neighborhood i didn't have a great time...i'm not sure what it was, but i was rather creeped out...
dinner that night was some sort of quiche...we hadn't eaten much all day, and i wasn't at all hungry, but i know better than to skip food...

No comments: