29 June 2016

In transit: Kyiv to Johannesburg


My first flight left Kyiv at 1500 on a Monday afternoon. I'm glad I double checked my flights, because I found out that first flight departed from the smaller airport in the city, not the big one like I was expecting. My first fight took me to Dubai, on a budget airline. I wasn't thrilled, as I didn't have any food or water packed so I was hungry and thirsty by the time the plane landed. It was a five hour flight, which is quite a time to go without any water or food.
I had a 7 hour layover in Dubai, so I decided to go through passport control and see a bit of the terminal. This was during Ramadan, but at night, so I wasn't worried about not finding food. I ended up eating Indian food, yum.
The second surprise (the first was the departure airport,) came when I tried to figure out which gate I would depart from in Dubai. I looked for the flight on the departure lists, but it wasn't there. When I asked at the information desk I was told my flight was from a totally different terminal, and this other terminal was not close enough to walk. I had to take a taxi. Normally my idea of walking distance is much further than most people would walk, but this lady was right. It was a 20 minute ride! 
The new terminal was fancy shmancy, but efficient. I went through customs and passport control, (the passport stamp to exit Dubai was nowhere near the entry stamp in my passport. Argh. 
My second flight was much better than the first, I got to fly Emirates for the first time. It was lovely. My own personal TV, earphones, blanket, etc... I was sitting next to a man in a row with four seats, but the two seats next to me were empty. Woo hoo! It wasn't good sleep, but at least I got a little sleep :) The food was good, the flight attendants were nice, etc...
Landing in Johannesburg was easy but not efficient. That airport has three lines for arriving: citizens, visitors needing visas, and visitors who don't need visas. My line (visitors not needing a visa) moved slooooowly. I was behind a group of high school kids from Missouri, they chattered away the whole time. I didn't speak with them at all, but several had Missouri clothes, and I could see the luggage tag on a carryon bag for one of them. 
Finally I got through passport control, then made my way toward the exit. I needed money, so I needed an ATM first. There are heaps of exchange counters, but not as many ATMs. 
After finding money I asked information for the best way to get to my hotel. They suggested a taxi, which I didn't like, as I wanted public transport. Then I figured out they were right, a taxi would be best. The taxi took me where I wanted to go, and fortunately the owner of my hotel was there. 
Though my flight landed around 10 in the morning, it was after noon by the time I got to my hotel. I was exhausted. The owner of my hotel told me to settle in, then come find him. He had his driver take me to a nearby mall to get a SIM card for my phone.
This turned into an adventure. I bought the new SIM card, but couldn't get the case off my phone, in order to change SIM cards. We had to go somewhere else, to find a place with a very small screwdriver to get the case off. After a drive to another mall, that happened. Yay! 
It was after 1500 by this point, and I will admit I wasted the rest of my first day. I did nothing, and it felt amazing. I ended up falling asleep at 1900, and sleeping through the night, so I guess I really was tired! 

No comments: