02 October 2016

ukraine: kyiv: returning to the food fest

I'd had such a good time at the food fest last month that I decided to return this month. The festival was in the same place, with many of the same restaurants selling food.
I met up with one of my coworkers, who was willing to look around even though he has really strict limits on what he can/will eat. We wound our way through the mall to get to the entrance to the fest, and paid the entrance fee, which was 70 griven. (Less than $3.) There was a security check, in that they looked in my purse, and we went through metal detectors of some kind.
Then we wandered. We looked at every single food booth in the entire area, and believe me, that's a lot of food. The theme this month was Eastern European, which didn't sound nearly as exciting as the theme the month before, which had been Mexican. Thankfully, not all the food was East European.
There were so many choices that looked so good. Burgers and quesadillas and paella and soup and eclairs and much much more. I already knew I wanted to come back the next day. (And I did.)
In addition to checking out all the food available we wandered through an art exhibit in an old warehouse. Many of the exhibits had chairs nearby in case anyone wanted to sit and look at a specific piece for a while. 
After each of us bought food we found an area where people were sitting in big bean bag chairs, facing a stage. We were lucky enough to find bags for ourselves, so we sat. Not too much later the performances started.
The performances weren't long, they were more just a number of groups of people in traditional clothing doing traditional dances. Good fun.
Eventually, I put my coworker back on the metro, then went home. My belly was full and happy.

No comments: