24 December 2016

in transit: starting my holiday travels

I usually book flights to start my holidays as soon as possible. This year my kids had performances on Tuesday and Wednesday, the oldest kids had their performance on Thursday. I booked flights starting at 2015 on Thursday, and found out a few days later that the staff dinner would be that night as well. Argh.
Since my flight was supposed to leave at 2015, I booked a taxi to take me to the airport directly from school. This meant I needed to bring my travel pack to school, which meant I needed to pack in the morning. I remembered that at 0730, which is about 15 minutes before I should've been walking out the door. Ooops. After packing and walking out the door, I was ten minutes away when I realized I'd forgotten my bikini. Argh.
I ended up being 10 minutes late to school, the first time I've been late in I don't know how long. Fortunately, my kids were unaware, and life went on as normal.
The day went well, and the late afternoon performance by the kids went well. Even though I didn't have a part in it, I put on my costume (Mrs. Claus,) and joined in the staff photos. It was fun, and for once I was really happy with my costume.
My original plan was to go straight to the airport, but I really wanted my bikini because I was planning to go to a couple oases in the Western Desert. So I texted the guy I usually call for taxi rides, and asked if he could take me home first, then to the airport. He said okay. He ended up being a bit later than we'd agreed, because traffic in the city center is always a nightmare.
Despite massive carsickness on the way, and bad traffic, we made it to my flat. I raced up the stairs, grabbed my bikinis, and raced back down. Thank goodness we got to the airport a lot faster than we'd gotten home.
I got into the check in queue, which was longer than I wanted it to be, but was moving steadily. As I got close to the front of the queue, all movement stopped. Argh. One customer who was already at a counter was yelling loudly at the staff, pounding on the counter and insisting on I don't know what. Eventually security was called. I don't know how the situation ended, but the guy was still at the counter 20 minutes later.
As I was waiting in line, and the line wasn't moving, I was getting more and more nervous. I checked the time which said my flight would be leaving in 30 minutes, eeeek. I knew there was nothing I could do, but I wondered (and still wonder) why everyone who was checking in was taking so long.
Just as I was stepping up to a counter three guys who were behind me in the queue jumped in front, trying to say they were on a flight leaving soon. I kept saying they were behind me, and I had an upcoming flight too. I think one of them said something about being a man, which irritated me more than anything else. Thankfully, the lady working the desk reached for my passport, and took care of me.
She told me to get through security and passport control quickly, because the flight was already boarding. I did, thankfully. Apparently she felt bad for me, because she'd put me in an extra legroom seat on the plane. YAHOOO!!! Another guy on the flight tried to move seats into my row, saying that his neighbor was sick, but the flight attendant said no, because he hadn't paid the extra fee. This was awesome, and I was thrilled. Until I realized the arm rests wouldn't go up, so I couldn't lay down. Oh well, at least the thought was nice.
The flight from Kyiv to Amman left nearly an hour late, I have no idea why. It was crazy foggy, so that might've had something to do with it, but I don't know. Since I had a long layover between flights, I didn't really care that we departed late.
We landed in Amman at Queen Alia International Airport after midnight. I have no idea what time it was because I didn't really care. I found a place to lay down, which was conveniently close to a plug.
I slept, sortof. As well as anyone can sleep when you're also worried someone will steal your stuff. As well as anyone can sleep when you don't have a time to get up the next day, or anything to do all day.
Originally I'd thought about figuring out a way to do a day tour of Amman, since my layover was essentially an entire day. Then I saw the prices of booking this at the last minute, and realized I would be super tired, so I decided to stay in the airport. Thank goodness I'm good at not moving a whole lot for long periods of time. I texted with friends, and read every news web page I could think of. 
Eventually I figured out where my next gate would be, and went to check in. (I was only checked into my first flight, not the second one, because they were on different airlines, and technically on different days, even thought I'd bought them as a single ticket.)
Throughout the day I'd watched people, which is always fun in an airport. Different styles of dress, different attitudes, etc... Fun times.  Several times I heard a prayer call being broadcast (Jordan is a Muslim country,) and once I looked over toward the windows and saw three men doing their prayers. Absolutely fascinating.
My flight to Cairo was less than two hours, and was more or less on time. There was a snack on board, but nothing substantial. Thank goodness I'd eaten in the airport in Amman.
I'd signed up for two tours while in Egypt, and the tour coordinator for my first tour met me in the airport in Cairo. He was waiting for me at the bottom of an escalator, even before I cleared passport control! I guess if you're a certified tour guide you're allowed to do this. He showed me where to go to get my visa on arrival, and guided me through the rest of the airport. I had to show my passport a couple times, I have no idea why. As we exited the airport, I saw a crowd of people outside. My coordinator said the only people allowed inside the airport are tour coordinators like him, and passengers. Everyone else has to wait outside!
A driver picked us up, and drove us to my hotel. Along the way I got my specific itinerary, and a list of basic Arabic words, written in the English alphabet. Handy. When we got to my hotel my guide checked me in, and told me what time he would be back the next morning to pick me up.
Welcome to Egypt!

No comments: