24 June 2017

austria: zell am see

Most of the time when Bo and I travel together we meet up somewhere. This time I wanted to visit him where he was living at the moment.
I took my first train from Garmisch-Partenkirchen, which left at 0630. (Again leaving me questioning my sanity in choosing such an early departure time.) I had plenty of time to make my on time connection in Innsbruck, that was easy.
I don't know how, but this train arrived 15 minutes late at my next destination. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but this was an Austrian train, and I always expect those to be on time.
No matter though, Bo was waiting for me at the train station in Zell am See, Austria. It's a small town, in a skiing area of the country. This wasn't where Bo lives, but it was the closest train stop.
I could've done this part of the trip entirely by bus, but it would've taken heaps longer, and sometimes there is value in paying more to be faster.
Bo had the day off, and we were already there, so we decided to explore Zell am See for a while. As I said earlier, it is a small town, so we knew exploring wouldn't last long. I dropped my bags in his car, we found a proper place to park, and off we walked.
First we walked through the city center. It's super small and cute. There was a tiny market in a platz near the church, as well as multiple cafes with chairs outside. All the buildings were kept up well, everything was pretty.
We stepped into the church, which was bigger inside and more decorated than I'd expected. In my head I tend to equate a small town with a small church. This wasn't big, but it definitely wasn't small.
It sounds crazy, but at this point we felt as if we'd seen most of the town. People who come here in winter come for skiing, not the town itself. In summer, they come generally for the outdoors as well. 
We decided to grab food from the supermarket, and have a picnic next to the lake. After eating we decided to walk along the lake front as far as the path would take us.
The walk was quite pretty, and really peaceful. Judging by the number of boats (rowboats and canoes and such,) tied up to mini docks, boating is a big thing here.
The lake next to which the town is located is really pretty, and on a calm day the mountains surrounding it reflect beautifully in the water. The day we were there it was not calm, it was actually really windy. 
During our walk we found a sign telling us about a visit by an Empress Elisabeth (sometimes known as Sisi,) of Austria, and how the hotel where she stayed still exists. Apparently she was quite the walker/hiker/trekker.
After walking for a while we turned back and decided we were ready to move on. We hopped in the car, and drove to where Bo lives, 15 kilometers down the road.
I'm not sure I would return to Zell am See specifically, but I would definitely come back to the region.

No comments: