01 October 2017

russia: september, my first month in moscow


I moved to Moscow, Russia!! The move sortof fell into my lap, it was something I'd thought about vaguely ever since moving to Kyiv, Ukraine, but hadn't pushed for in any way.
I arrived in Moscow at an airport, my employers had booked a taxi to pick me up and drop me off at a hostel in the city center, not too far from school. My very first afternoon/evening in the city I went for a walk, since I was temporarily staying in the city center. I wanted to go see Red Square, because I now lived in Moscow. Unfortunately, when I got to one of the entrances, I found security, and a ticket booth. It turned out that an annual military band show takes place around this time of year, so the square is blocked off.
Even though the square was blocked off I got to watch one of the international bands in town for the show, as they stood around in an informal practice session. Bagpipes galore, what a welcome to the city.
I also stumbled upon a changing of the guard ceremony just outside the Kremlin walls. It was fun to watch, I don't know how often the ceremony happens, or how much the uniforms change throughout the year.
The next evening I went for another walk, I got to see the sunset, which was lovely. I was already discovering that Moscow has quite a few lovely skyline views. During this walk I crossed a bridge over the Moscow River, I love bridges. Just on the other side of the bridge I spotted one of the so called 'Seven Sisters,' (which is how foreigners know the buildings, locals have a different nickname,) the one now known as a Radisson Hotel. It used to be called the Hotel Ukraine. All of the Seven Sisters look generally the same, the shape of the buildings is rather iconic.
During the first few days we had meetings at school, and I figured out accomodation.Taking a chance, I decided to live with another teacher at the school. She had just moved to Moscow as well, after living in another Russian city for four years.
We figured it would be a bit cheaper for us to live together, and we hoped we'd get along. (I already have one story of a bad flattie, I hoped she wouldn't be the same.)
The first weekend in September, we moved into our new flat. Moving meant bringing my pack, purse, and day pack. I'd sent everything else by post from Kyiv, I just hoped it would arrive, and soon.
The worst part of moving is the time it takes to get settled into your new accomodation: figuring out where to put things, where to find a grocery store, where to find public transport, etc... When you find a grocery store you have to do the first buy, which always ends up costing a fair amount, as you have to buy things like salt and pepper. 
They don't cost a lot, but all the little costs add up, and when you first move somewhere you don't typically have a lot of money laying around. At least I don't.
Obviously, I went for a few walks in my new neighborhood. I had a fantastic view of Moscow State University from my bedroom window, I wanted to see what the rest of the area looked like. Much of Moscow State is in one very very very big building, it's more than a little impressive.
I walked to and from school a few times in the first month. The walk was under two hours, and the weather was good, so why not? A chance to burn calories and see more of the city.
During the month some of the stuff I'd shipped from Kyiv arrived, yahoo!! I got notifications at school that there were packages waiting for me at the post office, so I went there after school one evening. I had to order a taxi to bring everything to the flat, thankfully the four big bags fit in the trunk.
I was very used to the main post office in Kyiv, which is very grand; the post office I went to this time was not at all grand. It actually took me a while to find, as it is in a building behind the building on the street. 
That probably doesn't make any sense, but I was the same amount of confused in finding the office. At least it wasn't too far from school.
My school schedule this year gives me Monday mornings and Wednesday afternoons off. I intended to make use of these half days off to see the city as much as possible.
One of the Wednesday afternoons in September I walked to an area called Moscow City, which is basically a business center. A whole bunch of office buildings, with modern architecture. The weather involved low clouds, which covered the tops of the buildings, I loved the way it all looked.
During this month I got to see a number of beautiful sunrises. Absolutely gorgeous. These views made me fall in love with the city pretty quickly, and it's always good to love the city in which you live.
Another Wednesday afternoon I walked from school all the way to a museum reserve area called Kolomenskoye. It was originally a royal estate, now mostly open to the public. I went into a couple churches on the property, watched a sunset, and realized I'd only seen a small portion of the estate. Royals in Russia used to have quite the life!
On several of the weekends I got caught up in watching tv shows until late each day, but managed to get myself out of the flat for evening walks. One of those walks I went back to the university area, as the building is lit up at night. There is a big pond on one side of the building, I liked seeing the building reflected in the black water.
This side of the building was not too far away from an overlook giving an amazing view of the city. I could pick out some of the Seven Sisters, I could see a convent, I could see the river, and I could see a sports stadium. Awesome.
Another nighttime walk I went in the other direction, ending up at Park Pobedy, (known in English as Victory Park.)
Many parts of the park were lit up, and I had another city view. There was a museum on one side of this area, something military I think. I was way after closing hours, but I hoped to return and see the museum at another time.
There were several fountains still running, with lights making the water different colours. I loved the way everything looked. Even though I felt like it was fairly late on a Sunday evening, there were still plenty of people out and about, enjoying a great city at the end of the weekend.
Even though it was only September, the view from my bedroom showed me how quickly fall comes in Moscow. The leaves started to change colour pretty quickly, I had the best view possible for watching it happen. There was a park directly across the street from our flat, so my bedroom view showed the trees. Sooo pretty.
I love Moscow, I can't wait to see more!

No comments: