07 January 2018

spain: canary islands: tenerife: puerto de la cruz

Getting from Garachico to Puerto de la Cruz was easy. I got up early and caught a bus. It was on time, and I got only slightly carsick from the curvy roads. Since I caught such an early bus I wasn't able to check into my hotel. I was able to change, and leave my bag behind the front desk.
Puerto de la Cruz isn't known as a city with much to see. I had about three hours to kill before being able to check in properly, I didn't have anywhere particular in mind to see. I wandered for a little bit, then ended up at a cafe for breakfast.
When I sat down I noticed someone else with a breakfast of churros con chocolate. Churros with a cup of really thick hot chocolate, almost like hot pudding. I ordered that, and was in heaven while I ate. So good. I was surprised when I asked for the bill and it was only 2.40 euro, that was cheaper than I expected.
After eating and hanging out at the cafe for a while I went back to the hotel and checked in. Despite having been sitting for over an hour I was still tired, so I took a short nap. Then I put on my bikini and cover dress, and walked to the beach.
The beach in Puerto de la Cruz isn't amazing but it was much better than the one in Las Palmas. There were plenty of people spread out over the black sand (which was kinda rocky in some places,) but I spread out my malong and relaxed.
After a few hours I packed up my malong and sat on some stairs on one side of the beach to watch sunset. I loved watching the rhythm of the water, as the sun set slowly. The colours of the sky weren't very pretty, (just yellow, and very pale blue,) but it was still nice to watch.
I returned to my hotel to change out of my bikini and grab my purse. I went for an evening walk, which took me past two churches. Both were pretty, not too decorated and not too plain. One was close to starting an evening service, so I didn't stay inside for long.
My walk took me along the coast, along a boardwalk of sorts. I passed heaps of restaurants, cafes, and stores, all aimed toward tourists. One of those stores was named after me :)
As I'd seen in Garachico, the rocks along the water were sharp, despite the constant crashing of waves.
I could've watched the water for hours, or watched the people watching the water. So peaceful.
The next day the only change in routine I made was to have a double portion of churros at breakfast. I repeated everything else almost exactly. A morning walk to breakfast, relax in my room for a bit, time on the beach, watch the sunset, (though I took this time to check out the many stone cairns stacked up behind a small, unopen 'castle' near the beach,) and an evening walk.
The third day the waiter at my breakfast cafe remembered me, and asked if I wanted the double portion of churros again, hahaha. I opted for the normal single portion instead. (A big deal for me, I don't usually have any willpower when it comes to turning down sweets.)
My walk that evening (after time on the beach,) took me to a small amusement park. It looked just like amusement parks I've seen in the states, all lit up in the evening. It was different though in one aspect, there were hardly any people around.
The next morning was the start of my last day in Puerto de la Cruz. At that point I had my routine down pat, and I didn't break it the last day. A breakfast of churros con chocolate, relaxing in my room, beach time, and an evening walk. I was finally getting tan, and super relaxed.
The next morning I checked out of my hotel, and walked in the rain to the bus stop.
I would consider going back to Puerto de la Cruz again, but I'd want to use it more as a base to explore the surrounding area, instead of just going to the beach each day.

No comments: