01 April 2018

russia: march in Moscow


I spent about as much time in Moscow in March as I did in February.
The only real exploratory thing I did was continue my mission to see every metro station. There are over 240, so seeing them all is no small feat. 
I had seen a photo of one of the stations on line 8, the yellow line on the eastern side of the city. (There is also a line 8a, on the southwest side of the city. Someone once told me they'll eventually be connected, but I have no idea if this is true; if it is, I imagine that will be years down the road.)
This particular photo was pretty awesome, I wanted to see if it looked that way in real life. It turns out, it does. The name of the station is a mouthful (to non native Russian speakers,) so it took some practicing for me to say it correctly. Aviamotornaya.
The station looks quite modern to me, but Wikipedia tells me it first opened at the very end of 1979. I imagine the architecture was quite a shock back then. The same Wikipedia entry also tells me the story of an escalator accident in the station in 1982 that killed at least 8 people. I'm surprised that sort of information is available online!
Another station of a little note on the east side yellow line is a combination station, Rimskaya and Ploshchad Illyad. The reason this one is a little noteworthy is because there is a fountain between the two stations. That being said, the fountain is rather lame.

 During March I also saw online that the yellow line on the southwest side of Moscow was opening a few new stations. One day after school I stopped at all of those. I definitely wasn't the only one there taking photos, social media is everything in Moscow.

 Toward the end of the month I had an adventure on the metro I could've done without. As I was getting off the train one day, I dropped my kindle down onto the tracks. (That whole "mind the gap" announcement made in the tube in London popped into my head.) I ended up having to come back the next day to get the Kindle; to do so they guided me into the super secret office in the station. I'm grateful for the help of these employees!!




No comments: