22 August 2018

usa: north carolina: charlotte and the Biltmore

Getting back to Charlotte was easy, though didn't go quite as planned. My second flight was delayed a bit. It didn't make a huge difference though, I was still able to take an uber taxi to my host's flat.
That night we rode his motorcycle to dinner. Fun, but I had a hard time keeping my helmet from hitting his when we slowed down or sped up. Whoops! I love being on the back of a motorcycle.
The next couple days I didn't do anything new. I used the mini gym in the apartment complex and laid out at the pool in the afternoons. There is definitely something to be said for relaxing, and not getting stressed about seeing and doing anything.
Saturday morning I'd arranged for us to drive to the Biltmore House, near Asheville, North Carolina. I'd planned a meetup with my high school friend Nancye. Nancy and I have met up with each other in several places around the country over the years. 
We had to change the meetup time a couple times, but it finally happened. Nancye is as big a fan of postcards as I am, we exchanged envelopes of them when we saw each other. My host knew of my love of postcards, but was still surprised when he saw just how many I give/send to some people.
The Biltmore House was built by George Vanderbilt II between 1889 and 1895. It has 250 rooms, and is huge, which makes the 6 year build even more impressive. The home is still owned by Vanderbilt's descendants.
At the time it had all the latest gadgets, including dumbwaiters, electricity, multiple bathrooms, central heating, a pool and home gym, a bowling alley, etc... I loved the library the most. The ceilings also caught my eyes. (Ceilings always catch my eyes.)
When you go through you have the option of renting an audio guide, we declined. I love the information, but find it overwhelming when I'm walking through a place. Plus Nancye knew quite a bit about the house, since she has an annual pass and has visited several times previously.
We went through the house in about an hour. I don't need to stare at something foreva to appreciate it, and we didn't have audio guides slowing us down.
After walking out of the house Nancye suggested we get ice cream. This is one of many reasons she and I have remained friends over the years :) One of the little stores on the property sells scoops, and a 'single' size was actually two big scoops. Yum.
The gardens around the house are huge, and are another reason for visiting the property. The landscaping is redone each season, and for special holidays. During our visit there was a special exhibit, a whole bunch of Chihuly sculptures. I'd already seen some of them in Seattle, but was happy to see more. It started raining while we were in the gardens, but it didn't last for long, thank goodness.
Lastly we walked through part of the wine area. There was a small museum dedicated to the family and its history through generations. There was also a gift shop, all I bought was postcards.
I drove back to Charlotte, fun.
The next day we took it easy. My host played pickup basketball, and I managed to escape being bit by mozzies.
The next couple days were just like my first couple days in town. I went to the mini gym and the pool. I really need a sugar daddy who will let me live that kind of life in between exploring the world.
My last night in town we went to dinner at a place called Bucca di Beppo. I'd never heard of it before, apparently it is a national chain. It is known for huge servings, a couple can easily share a meal. We might have gone a wee bit over that, hee hee. We shared an appetizer, each had an entree, and had dessert. The dessert was actually four different desserts. (This is totally perfect for me.) I would've been happy if someone had rolled me out of there in a wheelbarrow.
The next morning I flew back to Chicago, it was a direct flight.
There is still heaps for me to see and do in Charlotte, I hope to go back someday. 

No comments: