18 December 2018

russia: moscow: holiday lights



Dark comes really really early around this time of year, it's dark before I walk out of school for the day. The last time the girls and I did a weekend trip we flew, so we took a taxi into the city from the airport. Because there were three of us, it ended up being faster and cheaper than taking the aeroexpress train.


The taxi drove through an area of town that was decorated for the season, I loved it. I made a note of where it was, and decided to return one evening.
After school I started walking, arriving at Park Pobedy more than an hour later. The entire walk was along a major road, it was easy to figure out where to go. It's easy to recognize the area because there is a huge victory arch in the middle of the street.


The arch area had a depiction of a huge sleigh, with Ded Moroz (the Russian version of Santa,) and Snegurechka (Ded Moroz's granddaughter,) along for the ride. Very pretty.
Another area of the park had a massive set of lights set up. There were lights in the shape of a couple dancing, and more of people skating, etc...


I could also see a couple huge ornaments, with the lights changing colour.
I got to see a light show in a tunnel of lights, set to music that was booming out really loudly, I'm not sure from where.
Basically, this walk was just so I could take pictures of pretty holiday lights.


Later in the week I went back to a church I'd first seen in autumn. The church at Fili was just as pretty in the snow as it had been in the golden light of fall. I don't think I need to see it in spring or summer. 



No comments: