23 March 2020

russia: moscow: the canal, a mosaic, and a trolley depot



Several times I've ridden one of the trains (metro and aeroexpress,) that goes over one section of the Moscow Canal. When that ride has been in daylight my eye has been caught by that part of the ride more than any other.
Social distancing was already starting, though nothing officially changed in my life for more than another week. As I rode the metro to get to this area, I wasn't within 2 meters of anyone the entire time.


After I got off the train I walked to the water, which wasn't as impressive up close as it was from the train. There is one area that serves as a marina, but I wasn't able to get close, as there was a fence around everything, argh.
I was able to walk along another section of the canal, which was super quiet. I don't know what the canal is used for, if anything. It was a beautiful day, but the wind was super strong.


After walking all over for a while, I got back on the next train, hopping off at Belorusskaya station. This stop also happened because of previous train rides. On a number of daytime aeroexpress and metro trains that went past Belorusskaya station I noticed a large mosaic with Lenin that I wanted to get close to. Looking at both Yandex and Google maps, I didn't think I needed to leave the station to see the mosaic.


I walked all the way to the end of the platform for one of the tracks, it took me right to the mosaic, yay!A bit further down the way was a steam locomotive on display. I've seen such locomotives before, and I don't know specific trains well enough to appreciate differences, so it was just another train for me.Even further along I found an old brick water tower. Very tall, of course.


The last stop on my walk to the end of Belorusskaya station property was the trolley depot. I don't know how to describe it other than to say it was like a garage with 10 different doors, all in the same building around a semi circle. In the center of what would be the circle was a platform that circles around, so a trolley could drive on, spin a little, then drive off into a specific garage.
Sortof interesting, in terms of photography.



No comments: