30 August 2015

hungary: budapest

Before and after my days in Burgas, Bulgaria, I spent a day in Budapest. Budapest has recently become a favorite of mine, so a day layover makes me happy.
As usual I took a wizzair flight from kyiv, so I landed around 0720...by this point I knew how to get into town using public transport, it was easy.
I found my hotel, but my room wasn't ready for checkin (it was only 0900 or so) so I dropped my pack and went out walking.
I saw at Stephens basilica again, I ate a giant ice cream again. I people watched again. I walked up stairs to the second floor of the central market so I could take a better photo.
I walked up castle hill and over to the back side, to find the hospital in the rock. It has been a hospital for a while, but is no longer active. The original health facility was created in naturally occurring caves in the hill. 

Over the years, people extended the caves into tunnels. The entire area is actually pretty extensive. The only way to see the hospital is on an overpriced tour, during which you don't get to take any photos. There are dioramas/wax figures/authentic objects in each room, and our guide did a good job. She explained different periods of the hospitals history, who was served at the hospital, how everything functioned. Toward the very end we got to sound the alarm that would've sounded had there ever been a nuclear attack. Thank goodness that never happened.
After the hospital I walked to the buildings on the hill that house a couple good museums. I visited one of these museums with Katie a year ago, but I hadn't been able to see the exterior of the buildings back then. Very very pretty. Not too many people around, yay for photos!


The day I spent in Budapest after Burgas was very low key. My flight landed around 1000, my hotel had my room clean when I arrived just before noon. After resting up for a short while, I changed into my bikini (with a long dress over) and started walking. I walked straight to szeschenyi baths, the same place I visited earlier in the summer.
I spent over four hours at the baths. Awesome. Totally awesome. I stayed in every pool for a while, and lived every minute of it. Sooo relaxing. I was very pickled by the time I left, I can't wait to go back again. At the end of the visit I went back through the whole thing with my camera.
Is it bad that I had a giant ice cream for dinner?
The next morning I had another early morning flight back to kyiv. I was sad to see the end of my summer travels, and of course I've already started planning next summer :)



No comments: