22 August 2015

spain: madrid

when i booked my flights to and from the states, i got lucky. On the way back to Kyiv, I had a 15 hour layover, during the day, in madrid. Yahoo! I had two bags with me, I was able to check one of them, so I had just a carryon and purse during my day. (The carryon was not light though, I really felt it by the end of the day.)
My morning started with an easy train ride into the city.  Since I didn't have a guidebook, I had only a triposo app, I wasn't exactly sure where to go in the city. I chose a center platz called the puerta del sol. Three metro lines cross there, and it's central.
It was only 0900 or so when my train arrived, and I came above ground. There weren't many people around, since it was early, but I liked that. There is a fountain in the middle of the platz, which isn't any shape in particular.
I walked from this platz down a fairly small, mostly pedestrian street. I think it's mostly touristy, as i could see hotels and small cafes and not much else. It was very pretty. This street brought me to another open area, in front of a theatre. I would've taken a photo, but it wasn't at all picturesque. Next to the theatre, another street kept me walking in the same direction as before.
Eventually I got to the end of the street. On the corner was a small monastery/convent. Beautiful exterior, but I chose not to go inside, I don't remember why. Next time I will.
I turned directions just a bit, and followed the street to a park. This park was on one side of the royal palace. There were several paths, each lined with statues of famous people in spanish history. I should learn more Spanish history.
Queued up in front of the ticket office for the royal palace were 20 or more people. I saw the sign listing entry prices, and adult entry was 10 euro.
If I'd had more days in the city, I would've taken the time to tour the palace, but with only one day, I had to choose. Walking through the palace is another place on the 'to see' list for when I return to the city.
Across the platz from the front side of the palace is the Catedral de la Almudena. It's big. The front makes you want to take a photo. The entry I found was to a museum, and I thought that was the only way to enter. I decided to pay the 6 euro entry fee, which I thought was a bit ridiculous at the time. The museum didn't allow any photos inside, I followed the rules. There were treasures of the church on display, they were beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.
At the end of the route through the museum you have the oppotunity to climb stairs. A lot of them. The stairs take you to the cupola, and lead to a door going outside. On a blue sky day, I stepped outside, and loved my view. I got to walk all the way around the cupola, looking at the city in all directions. Beautiful. You know those times when you see something and think: 'wow'. This was one of those times. One of the views from the cupola was over the front of the church, looking to the royal palace. Awesome. A photo definitely doesn't capture the beauty.
Eventually I went back down all the stairs, into the sanctuary of the cathedral. Tall, pretty, colourful. The ceiling was unique, like nothing else I've ever seen. To the side there was another altar with an icon to which people pray. Despite the heat outside, the interior of the church was cool.
After exiting through another door entirely, (I think it was a actually a side door, but used as a main entrance,) I found a place selling postcards and other church related souvenirs. From there I crossed the street, and walked down another street, back in the general direction of where I'd started my morning.
This was another touristy street, filled with more cafes, and more shops with souvenirs.
The reason most people walk this street is because it leads to a couple well known platzes. One of them is an enclosed platz, you enter through a small gateway of sorts. By this point it was noon-ish, so there were a heap more people out and about. It was also the time I started to feel the heat and sun. In the middle of the platz was a statue of a guy on a horse. The exteriors of some of the buildings were being worked on, so they were covered with I don't know what. I had more fun watching everyone taking photos than taking photos myself.
At that point I was hungry, and thirsty. Really hungry and thirsty. I could feel the heat and sun, and knew I needed to cool down and hydrate. I walked out another exit of this platz, and followed a street toward my next sight. I figured I would find a cafe along the way, and I was right.
As in many other cities in Europe, small cafes and restaurants offer a daily menu with several courses for a good price. I found one of those cafes, offering an 8 euro menu. I was the only person when I first walked in, but there were at least ten people by the time I left.
I had vichysoise (that cold, tomato-y soup, it was a pretty big bowl,) followed by fried fish and salad. I also had a drink (water,) a basket of bread, and fruit for dessert. A lot of food for 8 euro! There fish wasn't particularly notable, but the rest of the food was good. Simple, just the way I like it.
I felt a lot better after eating and drinking, thank goodness. It was still hot and sunny outside, so I knew that wouldn't be the end of it. I walked back to the puerta del sol, where I'd started in the morning. This time I exited the platz on the other side. Not a pedestrian street, but still a popular street.
The street I was walking took me to a well known traffic circle. Yup, a traffic circle. It's called the plaza de cibeles. There is a statue in the middle, of a racing chariot. It's nifty. But it's still a traffic circle!
I continued to walk, which eventually took me to where I wanted to go. A really big gate, in the middle of another traffic circle. Is this a Madrid thing? A Spanish thing? I walked up the street and found another platz with memorials. Really big memorials. In the middle was the very tall Christopher Columbus tower. After walking around the platz, I turned around and went back to the last traffic circle I mentioned.
On one side of the traffic circle is one entry to the parque de retiro. I'm not sure, but I would call it the main park of the city. It's big, with lots of paths to walk, with several differently landscaped areas. In the middle of the park is a pond big enough for people to use paddle boats.
There are benches around the pond, it's nice to watch people enjoying themselves and relaxing. (I was also dehydrated again, and hot, and really needed the chance to sit down for a few minutes.)
Another thing worth seeing in the park is the Palacio de Cristal. It isn't really a palace, more like the size of a big greenhouse. It's all glass, with an exhibit of some kind inside. Colorful. I felt even more humidity and heat when I walked in, so I didn't stay long. In front of the 'palace' was a small pond, with an even smaller fountain in the middle. Peaceful.
Walking back toward the original Puerta del Sol, I found a vendor selling water at a reasonable price, I drank a liter and a half in a short time. It felt so good. Sitting down for another few minutes, in the shade, also felt good.
Eventually I started walking again. I found a cafe listed on one of the travel apps, but it was closed when I got there. Argh. The reason I'd wanted to go to this particular place is that it was supposed to have good desserts. If you've read any of my other posts, you know I have a thing for sugar.

Fortunately, on my way to the closed cafe, I'd passed another that looked pretty good. It was. I had chocolate mousse in a chocolate square. YUM.
After the cafe I walked back up the street toward the Puerta del Sol, glancing at the Gran Via on my way. It didn't seem very impressive. At all. Maybe because the big building at the start of the street was covered by netting. Argh.
Along this street I found a few souvenir shops, one of which sold postcards at a good price. So I bought plenty.
Back in the Puerta del Sol I couldn't help myself, I took a photo of the bear statue. Too funny not to.
I took trains back to the airport, and waited for hours to check in. I was the first to check in, yay! Though not for lack of Ukrainians try to jump in front of me in queue.
I arrived back in Kyiv just before 0600.

No comments: