15 August 2016

botswana: chobe national park

When I first arrived in Livingstone, Zambia, my plan was to spend a couple days on that side of the border, exploring Victoria Falls. Then I was going to cross into Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, and explore the falls from that side for a couple days. While I did end up exploring the falls from both sides, I did not stick to this original plan.
When I checked into my accomodation in Livingstone, I was put in touch with a taxi driver in town, he drove me around for the next few days. He also suggested a tour I take while I was there, something I didn't know was possible before I arrived.
My taxi driver (Eric) suggested I do a day trip to Chobe National Park in Botswana. At first I resisted, as I didn't really want to spend the money, and I thought I would need the time in Zambia and Zimbabwe. He also suggested a helicopter tour of the falls, which I flat out said no to. 36 hours later I decided that going to Botswana would be a good thing to do.
The morning of the tour, he picked me up early in the morning, (at 0630) and drove me all the way (70km) to the border, a spot where Zambia, Zimbabwe, and Botswana all come together.
There is a spot where you can see all three countries just by turning your head.
He showed me where to go for border control on the Zambian side, I got myself stamped out of the country. Then he brought me to the bank of the river, and showed me which boat I would be boarding. A few minutes later I boarded, and that was the last I saw of Eric until returning later in the day.
This boat was actually a passenger ferry, and took a group of us across the river. Across the river we walked up the bank, and over to a tent that was supposed to take care of health issues in crossing the border.
All of us had to step into a bucket with a wet cloth at the bottom. I'm assuming it was soaked in a disinfectant of some kind?
Nearby the health tent was the border control building for entering/exiting Botswana. Everyone on the boat went through the correct line, we all got entry stamps into Botswana.
Then we all piled into a van, which drove a little way down the road. We didn't go far, maybe 20 kilometers? I"m not at all sure, but I know it really wasn't very far. Everyone was dropped off at a cafe, where we had breakfast. Breakfast was tasty: apples and bananas, as well as muffins and donuts.
I kinda sorta maybe might've had too many donuts, as they were freshly made, and soooo good.
After waiting a while at the cafe (no one really seemed to know how long we would be there,) everyone piled onto a couple boats. Though there were two or three boats leaving the cafe, we didn't see them again, and it was nice to feel as though it was just our boat. There were two levels to the boat, and I went straight up to the second level. Both levels had no walls, or outer coverings, which I loved. Totally perfect for a river safari.
The boat moved along the river, with a guide giving an occasional spiel about the animals or flora we could see. He also told us about the borders of the area we were seeing. The boat occasionally got close to the river banks, to watch the animals. We got to see crocodiles (even while one of them was laying around with his mouth wide open, which the guide said aids digestion,) hippos, elephants, kudu, and antelopes. It was amazing to realize I was so close to real live wild animals. I know that sounds cheesy, but it really was awesome.
I got to watch elephants travel in a pack, and even cross the river. I learned about different types of antelopes. I got to watch warthogs too. (They're definitely part of Africa's ugly 5 of animals.)
There were drinks for everyone on the boat, water and juice. One lady in another group on our boat was korean, she looked to be sleeping for a while. How could anyone sleep in this setting?!
Eventually the boat came back to the cafe, and we all got to enjoy a buffet lunch. I overate, by a lot.
The food was really really really good. A table of salads and veggies, a table of mains (which were mostly curries, YUM,) and a pasta and rice. I had frut and dessert too.
After eating, we split into smaller groups, and got into safari vehicles, and drove down the road until we got to one of the official entrance gates to Chobe National Park. (During our river safari the entire thing had been inside the borders of the park, which includes the river and an island in the middle of the river.) Our guide told us our entrance was the Sedudu gate.
I was sitting on one side of the safari vehicle, which also had open sides. I loved the open sides, but I wasn't loving having the sun glare down on one arm, and only that arm.
Our guide drove us along various paths in the park, pointing out all kinds of wildlife, and occasionallly stopping to let us watch and take photos. We got to see elephants (which sometimes move in rather large groups, always protecting the young'uns) and giraffes, kudu and antelopes, guinea fowl and baboons, zebras and the bird (called Zazu,) in the movie the Lion King. I loved every minute, and would've loved to drive around for a couple days.
I think zebras were my favourite in this safari, though we didn't see very many. They're definitely more skittish around vehicles. I also loved the giraffes, which are both awkward and elegant. They look really strange when they bend all the way down to the ground to drink, legs pointed in all kinds of directions. Because their legs are so long they can move quickly without looking like any effort is being used.
Eventually we drove back out of the gate, and back toward the cafe. The drive along that road was quite windy, everyone's hair was blowing all over.
We drove past the cafe, all the way to the border. As we got closer and closer to the river/border, we saw more and more big rig trucks on the side of the road. Our guide told us that this is how international transport works in the area. Crossing the border can sometimes take up to a week!!
At the border we did the whole process backward, but skipped the health tent. When I got off the boat on the other side of the river Eric was waiting for me, helped me through passport control again, then drove me back to Livingstone.
It was a fantastic day, I definitely want to go back to Botswana and see more of the wildlife.

No comments: