30 August 2016

Hungary: Budapest, the end of an amazing summer

This visit to Budapest wasn't a proper visit, (I was there less than 24 hours, it was just a layover on the way back to Kyiv,) but I did go for a walk while I was there. 
I flew from Belgrade to Budapest, then took public transport into the city to my airbnb accommodation. I've done this four or five times now, I've gotten to know the system pretty well. I'm sure some people care what side of the river they stay on (Buda or Pest,) but it really doesn't matter to me. Every time I've visited this city I've stayed in a different place, and they've all been pretty good.
After relaxing for a while, (too long, but I never get going as soon as I think I will,) I started walking. My first stop was St Stephen's church, one of the showpieces of the city. It's one of few churches that continue to amaze me, no matter how often or how many times I see it.  The exterior catches your eye because of where it is located, and the plaza in front kindof makes you notice the church; the interior is just plain stunning.
Unfortunately, it was closed to the public when I arrived, due to a concert taking place. If I'd gotten moving out of my accomodation earlier like I'd planned I would've been able to go inside. Argh. If I'd had an hour to wait around, it was going to open up again, but I didn't have that time. Argh. I took a photo of the front door, which is always closed. (Visitors enter through a side door.) The door is impressive too, if you take the time to look at it. 
From there I headed straight up the street to the river, and followed the river to one of budapest's many bridges. (I don't remember which bridge.) I think all the bridges have pedestrian areas, which is awesome. Locals walk across the bridges, so do tourists. Though if you want, there is also public transport going just about anywhere you want to go. As long as it isn't raining, I prefer to walk.
On the other side of the bridge I arrived at Gellert Baths. 
Gellert Baths is one of the thermal bathing complexes for which Budapest is famous. There are a bunch of them around the city, (I don't know the exact number, does anyone? I'd love to try them all.) I was excited to try a different one from what I've experienced previously. 
Gellert Baths was built in the early 20th century (1912-1918) and everything about it is really grand. You feel a sense of awe as soon as you walk in. I'm sure I'm not the only tourist who walks into the entry gallery and immediately pulls out a camera and clicks away. A really high ceiling, with glass that lets in natural light. A statue at one end. Whoeva designed this area was amazing.
There is a hotel attached, and sometimes you remember that people used to come to Budapest just to stay in a hotel like this one and spend days in the baths. I'm pretty sure there are still plenty of people who do this, just because they can.
I figured out where to buy my entrance ticket, and found my way to the locker room. I bought just a locker ticket, I didn't feel the need to get a whole changing cabin to myself. They give you a special armband to use with your locker, which is convenient once you figure out how to use it. 
I changed into my bikini, grabbed a towel, put on my jandals (flip flops, thongs, etc... Depending on what version of English you speak) and went exploring. As with all these complexes, it isn't easy to find your way around during your first visit. Since this is one of the more touristy baths, most of the signs are in Hungarian and English, with pictures to help anyone who doesn't speak either of those languages.
I ended up on the roof at first. (There is even a separate entry ticket for people who only want to spend time in the pools on the roof.) There is a wave pool up there!! There is also an area filled with lounge chairs, another warm pool, a sauna, and a huge barrel filled with cold water. I spent time floating around all of them, just because I could. I took photos too :)
Next I went back into the building, eventually finding my way to the indoor swimming pool. I'm not sure why, but this is the only pool in the entire complex where you are required to wear a swim cap. There are no lane lines, and I didn't see people actually swimming up and down, but oh well. There was a lifeguard though. I heard another guest ask him a question, and he answered that he was still very new to the job so he didn't know where everything is located. It is another grand looking and feeling area. The ceiling is actually a window, so the natural light is awesome. Does that mean it gets really dark in there in the middle of winter? Hmmm...Maybe I should go back to find out?
From there I found my way to several thermal pools and a steam room. The steam room was interesting, if only because neon lights made everything a bit creepy-ish. Neon green lights in a room almost completely filled with steam means you don't see very much. I stayed in there just a few minutes, and didn't realize there was someone else in there as well until just before I left!!
 The showers in that area were tiled mosaic. Whoa.
I went back and forth in these thermal pools, feeling the temperature differences and watching people. You see all kinds of body types and personalities in these baths. 
After I was well and truly pickled, I went back to the locker room, showered and dressed. 
I had dinner, then stopped at a supermarket for breakfast food, and got back to my accommodation easily. I love how walkable Budapest is. 
The next morning I was up early to catch a metro train to a bus, and the bus to the airport, then a flight back to kyiv.
What a great summer. 

No comments: