29 March 2017

Transition time

Another quick post, just to show a few airport photos. 
I started my day in Bloomington, Indiana, USA, and ended in Vienna, Austria. In between those destinations were a car ride, two taxi rides, and five flights! 
I drove with family members from Bloomington to Indianapolis, then boarded my first flight in that airport. It went smoothly, and was on time. 
My next flight was from Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA to Amsterdam. It turned out to be the first ever flight by KLM from Minneapolis to Amsterdam, yahoo! To celebrate, they had cupcakes and cookies and drinks and balloons set out at the gate. Since the flight was midweek, it wasn't very full, I got four seats in a row to myself. I tried to sleep, but it only sortof worked. Time zones and all that. 
In Schipol airport, Amsterdam, I got to watch a beautiful sunrise. The sun was huge and red when it first came up. Absolutely gorgeous. 
While watching, I noticed a big clock hanging from the ceiling. I saw a man inside, and thought he was cleaning the clock. Then I realized it was a video projection, changing the hands of the clock every minute. Very cool. 
While in this airport I also bought a guidebook, one I will need next school year. At least, that's the plan as of right now. 
My flight from Amsterdam to Kyiv departed and arrived on time. I rushed through passport control and customs, and hopped into the taxi I'd arranged ahead of time.The taxi took me back to my flat, then waited while I changed, grabbed a different pack, and packed different clothes. Then the taxi drove me back to the airport. 
I checked in with the little machine and printed out my boarding passes. Going through security was easy, though annoying. I never know if I need to take off my shoes (or not,) my watch (or not,) take out my toiletries (or not,) or be patted down. 
Since I was flying Lufthansa I got a snack on the flight, and drinks. Much appreciated, especially the drinks. (I've learned the hard way that I need to stay hydrated during long days of travel.)
Arrival in Munich was easy, because the signage in that airport is easy to follow. 
This is where I don't know what happened. I know I didn't check the timing for my next flight carefully enough, I didn't have a specific idea of how long I had to get to my next gate. 
Since this was my entry point to the Schengen Zone, this is where I got my passport stamp even though it wasn't my final destination. I took the train to the terminal I needed, and moseyed along.
Apparently I moseyed too long, because when I got to the gate, no one was there. No one. That was scary. I looked at the nearest clock and realized it said the exact time my plane was supposed to be departing. I was supposed to be on that plane! Ooops! 
I really don't know why I missed that flight, but realizing I had done so was an awful feeling. 
I found the nearest help desk, which was only two gates away. When the lady asked me why I had missed the flight I had to answer that I didn't know. I asked what will happen now, and she did her dance with the computer. I was beyond relieved when she said she had rebooked me on the next flight, leaving in thirty minutes. I was hugely grateful, to say the least. 
I raced across the airport, back to the first terminal, and boarded my new flight. I was the last to board, but I made it in time, which was all that mattered. 
Arrival in Vienna was easy. Since I had carryon baggage, and was already in the Schengen Zone, I basically walked straight through the airport and out the other side. 
I took the advice of my hotel, and took the CAT (city airport train) into the city. It cost me 12€, but the ride was just 16 minutes, and was a heap more convenient than my other options. 
In the city center I got off the CAT, and found a nearby metro line. Five stops later, I got off that too, and started walking. 
Ten minutes later I was at my hotel. I rang the doorbell, as I was checking in after their regular hours. The man let me in, gave me the quick tour, and I settled in. My body didn't really know what time it was, jet lag was not my friend during this trip. I probably should've gone out for a proper meal, but I didn't. 
To make a long story short, a car ride, five flights, two taxi rides, a train and a metro, and some walking took me from home to another destination. 
Vienna, I'm ready to explore! 

No comments: