18 March 2017

ukraine: kyiv: Kitaeva monastery

I've continued to follow a Kyiv specific page on Facebook, constantly finding information about places to visit in Kyiv that were new to me. Since I don't think I'll be in the city for much longer, I've been trying to use non work and non travel time to visit various places around the city, though I don't know if I'll ever feel as if I've seen everything.
As usual, I didn't have classes Friday afternoon, so I set off for one of these visits after finishing paperwork for the week. (In case you're curious, modern teaching involves waaaaaay too much paperwork, it never ends.)
The sight I wanted to see is called Kitaeva Monastery. It was built in 1716 by the monks of the Lavra (another monastery in the city) who wanted a quieter, more retreatlike place in the city. 50 years after it was first built, a 45 meter tall bell tower was added. Empress Catherine the Great (Ekatarina the 2nd,) loved the place when she visited in the 18th century.
I found information saying that there are tunnels and caves under the monastery, but they haven't been fully excavated, and are not open to visitors. There are supposed to be ancient Slavic writings in these tunnels and caves, I bet they're amazing to see.
I used the metro first, then hopped on a marshrutka. It was the right marshrutka, but it turned out to be going in the wrong direction, so I got back to the metro and hopped on another. Thankfully, this one was going in the right direction.
From the spot I got off, I had to walk a little bit, through a residential area, past several storage areas. I saw a lady sweeping the street, to get rid of the end of the winter refuse that lines the streets. Sticks and random leaves and whatnot.
I first walked past a cemetery, which was small but pretty. The gates weren't open, so I wasn't able to get into it at all.
I think the monastery is on both sides of the street. I started by looking into a church on one side of the street. It was made of brick, and at first I thought I was going in a side door. When I got inside I realized that was the entry everyone uses.
As soon as I walked in someone indicated that I needed to put on a wraparound skirt, which was fine. It was a small church, and a service was taking place so I didn't stay inside for long. I didn't get to take photos inside that church.
I exited the church and crossed the street to the other side of the monastery. I think this is where people live, as I saw a building that seemed sortof like a dormitory.
I found two churches in this area, unfortunately both of them were closed. Both of them had signs on the doors saying that worship was taking place in another church at the time, I'm assuming it was the first church I visited. I'm not sure if these other two churches are open at other times, I hope they are.
Next to one of the closed churches was a series of grave markers, above ground. The church itself was white, with green on top. It was a stand alone building, I really wish I'd been able to go inside.
The other closed church seemed much smaller, and was attached to another living area. At least that's what it looked like to me.
Since I couldn't go inside any more areas I exited the grounds of the monastery and kept walking along the street. It didn't take me long at all to get to the area labeled as a park on google maps. It seemed like a waterway with a dam of sorts.
I realized it was sunset, and looking one way from the dam was absolutely beautiful. The colors of sunset were reflecting on the water. I loved it.
After enjoying the sunset for a few minutes I walked back to the street and found my way to a marshrutka stop to get back to the metro station. From there I rode the metro and eventually got home.

Yay for getting to know Kyiv as much as I can before I leave.  

No comments: