29 October 2018

russia: moscow: museum of oriental art


My flight from Malta back to Moscow landed Sunday morning. As soon as I booked it I told Claire and Angela that we definitely had to get together and see or do something that day, so I didn't waste it doing nothing at home.
We didn't sort out where we would go until a couple days before, but that didn't really matter much to me. Claire chose the Museum of Oriental Art, which should probably change its name, given the pejorative meaning of the word oriental. It ought to be called Museum of Asian Art. 
The web page of the museum says it is one of the largest 'cultural institutions in the world for the preservation, research, and display of Oriental art.' I'm not sure if I believe it is really that big, but who knows.
We found the ticket desk, which wanted us to pay what amounts to a foreigner tax, meaning a higher entrance fee. We showed our work visas, and said we live here, we don't want to pay the higher price. They let us pay the local price, if they hadn't we were ready to walk away.
The museum was mostly organized by country/region, with a little bit of chronology thrown in.
There were sections for India, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, etc... I'm pretty sure we wandered through every room with exhibits, but I could be wrong. Finding the entrance of the exhibits themselves wasn't obvious, we had to walk past the toilet, and up what looked like a back stairway.
Since all three of us had lived in Eastern Asia (Claire and Angela in China, me in Korea,) we had all seen some of the styles of the exhibits previously. Even so, it was a nice outing, and I'm glad we visited the museum.


No comments: