06 October 2018

russia: moscow: weekly wanderings


Sometimes it feels like the weather on Wednesday afternoon is guaranteed to be overcast if not actually raining. This was another of those Wednesdays, argh. 
I still wanted to make progress toward my goal of seeing all the metro stations, so I decided to ride the southern half of the lime green and purple lines.
The lime green line is relatively new. Planning started in the early 1980s, and building started later. The first part of the line was first opened in 1995, with building still going. The last stations finally opened in 2016 and 2018.
The purple line is pretty busy, and not nearly as new. That being said, many of the trains running on this line are newer than trains on other lines.
As expected, each station was different, and all were clean. Some were boring, but all had something geometric or colourful to see. Some had benches, some had wall decorations, some had columns, some had tiles, etc...
I rode for a few hours, seeing about 20 stations in the day's tour.
On Friday I walked from school toward Moscow City, the business district of Moscow. I'd seen a few pretty pictures online with sunset, which is what I'd hoped to see.
I walked too slowly, and waited too late in the fall to get there in time for sunset. That and I didn't have quite the right angle for what I hoped to see. Oh well, it was a nice view anywho.
After putzing around for a bit, I walked back to the giant mall at Kievskaya. Since it was still September, the fountains in front were still running, and they were lit up too. Very pretty, with nice reflections on the fountain edge.


No comments: