24 January 2019

russia: moscow: weekly walkabout


Another walkabout Wednesday, another group of very random 'sights.' All three places I saw were places I saw on social media.
I plotted what I wanted to see on a map, then started walking from school. The walk was about 45 minutes, and since the weather was good I enjoyed every minute.
My first was a building with interesting exterior decor. Light blue paint with sculptures sortof stuck to the exterior wall. This particular building is close to a set of ponds that are one of the places 'to be seen' in the city, (though I've never figured out why,) so there were plenty of people around.
Personally I thought the building was more interesting than the ponds, but no one else seemed to think so.
From there I went back to the metro and walked a bit more to find another small sight. The Berlin Wall fell back in 1989, and pieces of it, or sections of it can now be found all over the world. When looking at an online map one day I found a section of the Berlin Wall listed, so I wanted to see what it actually was.
Like so many other sections around the world, this one was decorated. There was a hole in the middle, there was paint, and there was another decoration attached to all the cement.
I'm not sure how the location for this piece of wall was chosen, as it seems to be in the middle of nowhere in terms other things to see in the city.
I walked back to the metro, heading north this time. After exiting the metro I walked north for another twenty minutes at least. The walk was along a busy street, with both vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Not pretty and not fun.
There is an old aquaduct in the Rostokino part of Moscow, which is nifty and all, but what I wanted to see was a huge set of bears. Each photo I'd seen had the bears in holiday lights, with some trees in lights as well.
The bears were exactly what I expected and hoped to see. Fun. It was dark by the time I got there, which made the setup much more aesthetically appealing.
Definitely a good day of photo taking :)

No comments: