10 January 2019

sri lanka: galle


Galle is probably the most touristed city in Sri Lanka. It is certainly more touristed than the capital of the country, which isn't very common, at least not in my experience.
I wasn't able to find an original founding date for Galle, but Wikipedia mentions trade from Sri Lanka going back as far as 1400 BC, and it seems likely that some of the shipping happened in or near Galle.
Galle is sortof divided into two sections, they're totally different from each other. Galle Fort is what used to be the fortress protecting the area, built by the Portuguese. The Dutch later added to the fort, as did the British who were the last colonialists. 
Galle Fort is the aesthetically appealing part of Galle to visit. The interior of Galle Fort seemed mostly made up of cafes and restaurants, shops, hotels and other accomodation, etc... Everything catering to tourists. I saw a couple schools and such, but it didn't feel like a living city, if that makes sense. The other half of the city is the living part. The part with supermarkets and homes and government offices and the bus station and everything else one needs in regular daily life.
I kinda visited Galle twice. The first time was on an afternoon, while I was still sleeping in Unawatuna. 
It was an easy 20 minute bus ride, so hey, why not? My bus dropped me off at the main bus station, which is across from the main entry gate to the fort.
Walking from the bus station to the entry gate was an exercise in avoiding eye contact, ignoring everything and everyone around me, and occasionally saying no rather forcefully. I was saying no to tuk tuks, tour guides, touts offering places to stay, etc...
My notes in my travel journal tell me the walls were built by the Dutch starting in 1663, and let me tell you, they're thick. The walls are still standing, and you can walk along the tops the entire way around.
One of the first things I saw was a tree that had been taken over by another, so there were lots of 'vines' hanging down. A photo opportunity, but nothing of real interest.
One of the sights listed in the guidebook is the former Dutch hospital, but you can't tell it was ever a hospital. It has been redeveloped as a mall, with shops and restaurants. I found a tea shop in there, but it was otherwise not very interesting.
The bastions of the original walls still stand, and each has a different name, I don't remember any of the names. There is a lighthouse near one of the bastions, but the lighthouse wasn't open to visitors. 
Despite not being open, the lighthouse shows up on quite a few postcards of the city.
Postcards, yahoo!! I finally found them in Galle. Considering how much natural beauty there is, and how much culture there is, I was extremely disappointed in how few postcards I found in the country. I ended up buying them from several stores in Galle.
I watched the sunset from one of the bastions, it was quite pretty. It was easy to get back to the bus station, and only slightly more difficult to figure out what bus I needed to take to get back to Unawatuna.
The next day around lunch I officially checked out of my accomodation in Unawatuna, and hopped on the next bus to Galle. It was easier to get off the bus this time as I knew exactly where I needed to go.
I'd booked a studio flat in the fort area, it was definitely a splurge. That being said, it was nice, with a fan, air con, a mosquito net, and a modern bathroom. I generally don't spend a lot of money on accomodation, and in the overall scheme of things this still wasn't expensive, but it was more than what I'd been paying during the rest of the trip. $30USD goes a long way in accomodation in Sri Lanka.
After cooling down for a bit, I went out walking. Since I'd already seen some of Galle I didn't feel like there was a whole lot more to see. It's cute, but pretty small. I walked along some of the wall area, particularly by a tower near the main gate.
As I was walking along one section of the wall a local pointed out a couple sea turtles in the water below. AWESOME. As the water was pretty choppy, they weren't as obvious as I would've expected, and it wasn't easy to keep track of where they were. Soon enough they swam away.
After the sea turtles I walked out of the main gate and through part of the 'living' city of Galle.
It was pretty boring, to be honest. I found a Hindu temple still under construction, it hadn't yet been painted. I found another temple that seemed quite a bit older, but wasn't open. I found a mall, and I have to admit the air conditioning felt pretty good. I found the train station, with a difficult to read schedule. I walked around the bus station too, tryint to figure out where I'd be catching a bus the next day.
I looked for a local place to eat dinner, but didn't see anything. I assume I just didn't look in the right places, because there are almost always local restaurants near bus stations. Oh well.
The next morning I packed up and returned the key to the flat to the store below, then walked back to the bus station. Goodbye Galle.
I'm not sure I'll return to Galle, as I don't feel like I missed anything, even though my time there was short.

No comments: