28 March 2019

russia: moscow: dom Burganova

Walking Wednesday didn't take me very far this week. I chose to go to Dom Burganova, or Burganov's house, which is just a few blocks down the street from where I work.
Alexander Burganov was born in 1935, in Baku, Azerbaijan. He is still living, and still creating. He is a People's Artist of Russia, and a USSR State Prize laureate. In 2014 he signed a letter indicating his support of the Russian invasion of Crimea.
This museum is a series of rooms, outdoor platzes, and open areas filled with his work. Other works of his are displayed all over the city, and all over the world.
I paid my entrance fee of 200 rubles, and a fee to use my camera. I could've used just my phone for free, but I wanted to use my camera. I have no idea why there is a fee for one, and not the other, but oh well. The total together wasn't huge, so I didn't care.
The entrance into the exhibition area is lined with sculptures. Then I got to a platz, also filled with sculptures. Then I looked up, and saw more sculptures all over the balconies of a building, I could climb up to the first couple levels.
Then I went in a building, finding more sculptures in a variety of rooms. Outside the back of that building was another small platz with more sculptures.
Eventually I circled around to the first platz, and took a closer look at all the sculptures, going through the whole thing again. I loved it.
I also got to meet Mr. Burganov, which was pretty cool. His son (?) told him I speak Russian, (saying it in Russian of course,) and I had to speak up and say no, just a little. Hahaha. I've gotten pretty good at understanding when people ask my name, where I'm from, and why I'm in Moscow. My conversation skills die after that.
This is definitely one of the cooler museums in the city.

No comments: