02 March 2019

russia: moscow: instagram museums

Not too long ago the girls and I bought tickets to a series of 'museums,' five in total. At the time we decided to do one that day, then spread the other four out over the next few months.
Instead of going for a walk and seeing a sight in my free afternoon after school, I stayed at school and did a lot of work, then met up with the girls.
On this Wednesday we decided to do another one, called the Mirror Maze. We met up near a metro station, then walked to Old Arbat street. A number of the museums are in one building, so it was easy to find.
The museums are on several levels, each level has a separate bag and coat check area, making everything convenient. We put all our stuff away, then started to walk into the mirrored area.
As we walked in, the guy at the ticket desk said we had to wear plastic gloves on our hands. We didn't want to, and asked if it was necessary, he said it was. Sigh. I know I sound whiny here, but living in Moscow has me putting on shoe covers what feels like every day, I hate to see all the waste created by these things. 
As soon as we moved past the first mirror pane, we realized why we had to wear the hand coverings. There were so many mirrors, and no path was very long, you have to put your hands on the mirrors quite a bit to figure out where it is open to walk. We realized if everyone touched all the mirrors without their hands covered, everything would be covered in fingerprints and hand oils, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.
At some point I realized I had no idea where I was, if I was moving in the right direction, it was a bit scary. You see all kinds of reflections, but you don't know if you're looking at the right thing, or just a reflection. It was hard to keep track of Angela and Claire too, I know they lost me too.
Since I'm writing this, we obviously made it out. Lots of fun, I'm glad I did it.
We went to a new (to us,) restaurant for dinner, it was just across the street from the 'museum.' I don't know the name, it was an imitation of an old school diner in the states.
I ate too much, but oh well. It was worth it, and I'd make the same changes again :)
A little over a week later we three met up again to do another one of these museums. This time we chose one called the 'Giant's House.' It was located in the same building as the Mirror Maze, so we knew exactly where to go, and how it all worked.
A different guy marked our choice off our tickets, and in we went.
This one wasn't as much fun, as all the GIANT pieces of 'furniture' were crammed together. There wasn't enough space to take good photos of many of the items without getting other items in the frame.
We liked the kitchen sink, and the clothes washer. We liked the Forbes magazine cover, and the giant clock. As much as I love having photos taken of myself, I only have a set number of poses, I need to work on that. ;)
There was one item I didn't like, a pack of cigarettes. They're not healthy, I feel like that isn't a funny picture, and shouldn't have been an option. Okay, now I'm off my soapbox.
We went to the same place for dinner, the diner across the street. I ordered less food, and appreciated all of it this time. I'm sure we'll return, for the desserts if nothing else.
We still have two more 'museums' to 'see.'

No comments: