08 September 2019

russia: a monastery and pokrov



Even though I'd basically just come back to Moscow, I started my second weekend back by taking off for a day trip on Saturday. I'd chosen my destination because of a photo I'd seen on social media, which has become a normal way for me to choose a place to go :)


Almost as soon as I boarded the elektrichka I missed the ladies I traveled with last year. We spent nearly every weekend together, traveling all over the country. I hadn't realized how much I'd gotten used to it, until boarding this train and really realizing they weren't there. Argh.


Around 2.5 hours later I arrived at a station called Glubokovo. The station itself was hardly a station, more like just a landing platform. To get to my sight of the day, I had a two hour walk, through a whole lot of nothing.


The walk was actually really pretty, though I kept thinking how much the ladies would've been teasing me about where we were walking if they'd been there. Less than half of the 'roads' were sealed, some were just sand!


That being said, I got to see some small lakes/ponds, which had beautiful reflections on a sunny, quiet morning.


Eventually I got to where I wanted to go: a monastery. The monastery sits on an island in the middle of a lake, which means the aesthetic appeal of a photo is pretty awesome. I got to see a beautiful reflection of the bridge and island on the lake.


Despite this monastery basically being out in the middle of nowhere (no public transport, at least not that I could find,) there was still a fairly steady parade of people crossing the bridge to the island. I generally love taking photos of me on a bridge, but I skipped that this time.


Go figure, the monastery itself wasn't all that great. One church was open, but only the lower level. It was nice, and fully decorated, but didn't feel as amazing as many churches because of the low ceiling.


The biggest church building was closed, and seemed to be under renovation, darnit. I wonder what it looks like when everything is in good shape.


After a two hour walk, I only spent about 30 minutes on the island. It wasn't big, and there wasn't much to see other than the reflection on the water. Oh well, at least the weather was good.


From there I walked to Pokrov, (Vladimir oblast,) the closest town. With just a little over 17,000 residents, the city was originally granted town status in 1778. It was originally built as a monastery village, but that's no longer the main focus of the city. Wikipedia tells me Pokrov is home to a chocolate factory, I wish I'd been able to take a tour!!


I stopped in the first grocery store I saw, the ice cream I bought tasted amazing. (Probably because I was hot and sweaty and had been walking for at least 90 minutes since leaving the monastery.) I had to make sure I didn't drink the water too fast, I needed to absorb the water, not have it go straight through me.


I didn't see much of interest in Pokrov, but I did like the chocolate fairy monument. She is a chocolate bar with arms, legs, a head, and a hat. Absolutely perfect. If only she handed out real chocolate. Sigh.


Further down the main street was a small park, Yandex maps told me a Lenin statue should be there. He wasn't, I was rather disappointed. There was a platform where I imagine his bust/statue used to be, but there isn't anything else there anymore. I wonder when he disappeared, and why.
I also found a church, but it was just as 'interesting' as the monastery. Sigh.


From there I had a loooooong walk back to the train station. I timed it pretty well, and only had to wait 15 minutes for the next elektrichka to come along.


I was quite happy with my day trip, even though I hadn't seen all that much, and had walked quite a bit. The weather was good, so being outside was a good thing no matter what.
Welcome back (to me,) to traveling in Russia.



No comments: