23 September 2019

russia: nizhny novgorod and bor again


During my first year in Moscow, Claire and I went to Nizhny Novgorod for a weekend, for two reasons. First, it was home to another branch of the school we work for in Moscow. Second, it was going to be one of the host cities for the 2018 World Cup.
That trip was at the very end of March, beginning of April, and when we left, we were not big fans of the city. We knew that part of it was because we visited at an ugly time of year. Winter was over, but the city hadn't yet been cleaned up, and all the beauty of spring hadn't yet arrived.
I couldn't help but wonder if the reason we didn't like the city was because of circumstances that could change, so I decided to go back this fall.
My train arrived on time, of course, at the ridiculously annoying hour of 0430. That's too early to wake up, but too late to stay awake all night, argh. Anywho, I sat in the train station for around three hours, because walking at that hour did not sound fun.
I don't know if any renovations had been done on the train station in the past two years, but it didn't feel like the interior of the station was the same as when Claire and I visited. There was a giant Lenin mosaic on one wall in a large hall, which seems like something I would've noticed last time. 
Maybe we just missed that hall last time, I've been known to be really close to something and completely miss it.
The view upon leaving the train station was the same, just at a warmer time of year. When I turned my head around, the outside of the train station looked the same as I remembered, not very interesting.
Since I was traveling by myself in a place I remembered not liking very much, I'd made a tentative itinerary for the day. I decided to start my trip by returning to Bor, the town on the other side of the river. Claire and I had gone to Bor out of curiosity about riding on the cable car, more than a desire to see the town. 
I wanted to find out if there was anything we'd missed seeing.
The walk to get to the cable car station from the train station was long, especially because I stopped regularly to take photos. The weather in Nizhny had already started to change, so there were plenty of orange and yellow trees, everything was beautiful. Walking over the main bridge was still really windy, but it was worth stopping to take a few photos.
I got off course even before getting to the bridge, I went to see a church Claire and I had skipped. The Alexander Nevsky Cathedral sits on the right bank of the river, not too far from the new football stadium. The outside was yellow and had a typical orthodox 'look' to it. The inside was awesome, I'm glad I went inside. The entire interior was painted with frescoes, and the iconostasis up front was wood with colourful icons. The side iconostases were also wood, and also awesome. There were quite a few people inside the church, so I didn't get to take all the photos I wanted, but I definitely appreciated what I was seeing.
After crossing the river I walked partway on the boardwalk, which had been finished since Claire and I were there. Just about anything looks better than a construction zone, but the finished product really does look nice. That being said, it's still pretty windy, that wasn't any different.
I also stepped off the walking route to see another tree, this one had also been under renovation when Claire and I had seen it. The inside of this church was really boring, and not worth seeing, but the onion domes outside were really colourful. Almost like a baker had been able to play with ganache to create different patterns.
When I finally got to the cable car station I'd already walked well over seven kilometers, in a bit over two hours. The ride still cost just 100 rubles each way, which is a great price for a 15 minute ride.
Lenin was still where I remembered him being in Bor, as was the WW2 memorial. Instead of going straight back to the cable car, I walked a bit further in town, just to see what was there. I found a small monastery with bright gold domes on the main church, and back roads that looked like they'd been paved a loooong time ago with no upkeep since.
I also found the main intersection in the middle of town. There was a local market on one side, with plenty of produce, dairy, shoes, plants, etc... available. Anything I might've wanted, but I didn't need anything.
Except some of the baked goods I found in a small bakery. I definitely needed those. ;)
There was also a church on that intersection, and a big supermarket. Overall, it was a great place to stand around and just watch people.
After that intersection I found my way back to the cable car and headed back over the river. From there I walked to my hostel and checked in, another long-ish walk. 
I guess I hadn't paid enough attention to the map when I made the booking, but oh well.
After resting up for a while I walked back out to see at least one more museum. I headed to one of several Gorky related museums in town, only to discover that it was under renovation, argh. There was a sign on the door pointing me to another museum, one that I ended up liking probably better than what I'd intended to see in the first place.
The museum I did see was an apartment in which Russian writer Maxim Gorky had lived with his family for a while. 
It was neat to see the different rooms, their furniture and interior decoration. Again with the awful wallpaper, yuck. Women did not get to wear comfortable clothing. There were also informational signs all around, which were conveniently in several languages.
After leaving the apartment museum, I realized I had time for yet another museum, this one a history museum. Officially called the Nizhny Novgorod State Museum of History and Architecture, this one was in a renovated mansion.
I wouldn't say mansion, I'd say former palace, but I'm not the one who decides the specific wording used.
This museum required visitors to wear shoe covers, something I find incredibly wasteful. The weather was good, so no one was going to track in dirt, and these plastic shoe covers don't prevent the damage done by women wearing heels on a wooden floor.
The museum had a fair number of grand rooms with amazing ceilings and chandeliers, as well as intricate wooden floors. 
I liked the rooms with old school furniture, I did not like the old school wallpaper. I loved the old school pajamas, I did not love the fake fruit on one of the tables.
After leaving the museum I made my way to the main pedestrian street in the city. I went back to a burger restaurant I remembered from my last visit, which was good, and so much cheaper than it would've been in Moscow. I also went back to the cafe I remembered from our last visit, because of my memory of a really good chocolate cheesecake. 
Why mess with something that wasn't broken?
The next morning I woke up to rain. Argh. I packed up and waited around for it to get better, but it didn't. Because of the lousy weather (hard rain, cold wind, dark clouds,) I didn't do much during the second day of this visit. I kept finding ways to take cover: in supermarkets, churches, archways into courtyards, etc... The rain finally let up after dark, go figure.
Instead of wandering around the city like I'd wanted to do, I killed a lot of time in the burger place from the night before, then more time in the coffee place. 
Is there such a thing as too much chocolate cheesecake? I don't think so ;)
I finally left the cafe, and made my way to the metro, riding the entire length of one of the two lines Nizhny Novgorod has. Just like Moscow, all of the stations were clean. Just like Moscow, a few of the stations were really well decorated and designed, and the others were boring but still nice. The biggest difference I noticed was in the time of how often trains came through each station, as it wasn't nearly as often in Nizhny Novgorod as it was in the other three cities I'd seen. 
Since I've seen the metro systems in St Petersburg and Moscow and Novosibirsk, so it was neat to have another comparison to add to the list. Russia does metro systems really really well.
My train back to Moscow went as expected. Will I return to Nizhny? Probably not. Even so, the dream of a full weekend with good weather is going to stick in my mind for a while, hahaha.

No comments: