29 January 2020

russia: moscow: manezhnaya square and zaryadye park



Another episode of touring Tuesday in the dark. I left school as dark was falling (which is still entirely too early at this time of year.)


I walked toward the most famous part of the city: the Kremlin, Alexandrovsky park, Manezhnaya Square and Red Squre.


I'd seen photos on social media of the holiday decorations, and I knew they were all still on display.


I'm not sure, but it seems to me that there were more lights and decorations this season than in the past two years I've lived in Moscow.


Manezhnaya Square is often forgotten when talking about the most famous parts of Moscow, but I think most visitors wander through the area at some point, even if they don't recognize it.


There are a couple archways of lights, as well as an entire thematic display with small houses and cartoon like animals, all in a winter setting. Really cute.


Wikipedia tells me the square is locally known as the Manezhka. I've never heard that name, but I don't think I've ever talked to anyone about that area in particular. 


Or maybe the name has been said and I don't remember. I walked through Red Square next, the holiday festival there is still going strong.


I'd seen photos on social media of my next destination as well, Zaryadye Park. The decorations here were definitely over the top.


Zaryadye Park was the first new park in Moscow in 50 years, it was officially opened in September of 2017. It is across the street from one side of the Kremlin, and Red Square.


The entire park is covered in holiday lights, most of them sticking to a similar look.


If I had to describe the lights, I'd call them one half of a Q-tip, with the tip changing colour regularly. The colour change was mostly in unison, so a full hillside looks pretty cool.


On the far side of the park were holographic lights, with the 'pictures' changing regularly. Awesome.


No comments: