10 September 2018

russia: moscow: a festival, a park, a food court, and another park


This post will actually be a combination of two days.
The first was my first Wednesday afternoon of the new school year. I have the same schedule as I did last year, meaning I have Monday mornings and Wednesday afternoons off. I hope I continue to explore Moscow on Wednesday afternoons.
My goal this Wednesday afternoon was to see an exhibit of Bansky works in a museum. Unfortunately, when I got there they told me the exhibit had already finished. I was gutted, as I'm not likely to be able to see Bansky works anytime soon.
Since the weather was really nice, I decided to keep walking. For the first time ever, I found the pedestrian bridge near Christ the Saviour Cathedral. I'm not sure why it took me so long to find the bridge, as it is well known, and regularly featured on social media. I crossed the bridge, but didn't go in the church, as I've seen it previously and didn't need to repeat it that day.
The other day I'm writing about was the following Sunday. After a good day trip on Saturday we all had a lay in on Sunday, not meeting up until 1100 at a metro station. We walked from Kurskaya metro station to a former warehouse district that has been redeveloped as a hip place.
This district seems to host various festivals, I'd heard about one this weekend called Delhi Bazaar. It was supposed to be all things Indian, but it wasn't very exciting at all. We found a booth with "Indian" flavoured ice creams, which wasn't bad. Sadly, that was the highlight of the festival.
After the lameness of the festival, we took the metro over to a station called Oktyabrskaya. This was the Sunday of the city's birthday weekend, so there were special decorations and events all over Moscow.
There was a small kite festival taking place near the metro station, all around the Lenin statue that stands not far from one of the exits. I'm used to seeing Lenin statues around Russia, but I'm not used to seeing daily life continuing around them. I imagine that used to be different, but Lenin usually looks rather lonely these days.
We walked down the street to Gorky Park, which was full of people. Great weather and a birthday weekend meant we were sharing Moscow with every resident. Claire and I both told Angela we weren't fans of Gorky Park, but both felt as though there must be something we were missing, as it is quite popular. 
After this walk through, our opinions hadn't changed, we still didn't know why the park is so popular.
We hopped back on the metro, riding north to get to a food court I'd heard about. Last weekend Claire and I had joined Jeff at an upmarket Indian restaurant, now we wanted to try a cheaper place in this food court. The place was super busy, and it took us a while to find the place we wanted, but it was worth it.
Finding seating was definitely the most difficult part of that meal, the food was great.
After eating we opted to go see one more thing. More metro riding took us out to Izmailovo Park. It is close to where Angela is living, and though it is near Izmailovo market, I hadn't seen it previously. There is a body of water around an 'island,' and I got lucky with a photo that had a nice reflection.
The island itself had a church, a statue, a museum of some kind, and a lovely path along the water. We followed the path all the way to the other end of the island, really enjoying the sunset behind Izmailovo market. Now I know why people come out here :)
From there Angela decided to walk home, while Claire and I hopped back on the metro to go to our homes. A great first weekend back in Moscow!

No comments: