21 September 2018

russia: moscow: random weekly moments


After our day trip on Saturday all three of us wanted to have a lay in on Sunday. Angela lives on the edge of town so she chose to stay out there instead of meeting up again in the city with me and Claire.
Claire and I met up at 1600, and did part of a metro tour. One of my goals is to see all the metro stations, and Claire is usually up to join me for it. On this day we decided to look at all the stations on the northern half of the orange line. Half a line at a time is a reasonable pace to see the stations, otherwise it gets overwhelming. 
Wikipedia tells me this line is the third busiest in the city, with a million people riding it each day. That seems like a really big number to me, but I have no idea how they count it all.
After finishing our 'metro tour' we went back to the same food court as we'd visited recently, but had thai soups this time. It was slightly easier to find seats than the last time we'd been there, but it was still the most difficult part of the meal.
The next day I hopped on the metro after classes were finished and made my way to a station called Fili, on the light blue metro line. 
I'd seen a church on social media, called the Church of the Intercession at Fili, and the architecture seemed different from what I'm used to seeing.
It was golden hour when I got to the church, so the lighting was really good for photos. As far as I could tell, the lower level of the church was open, but the interior was pretty boring. The upper level was closed, I'm hoping it is just being renovated. I don't know if the church holds services regularly or not, but it looked rather abandoned.
The field across from the church gave me a beautiful view of Moscow City, the business district of the city.
The next morning my kids had a field trip to a place called Neskuchny Park. Nice walking paths through a whole lot of trees.
I used my Wednesday afternoon to walk from school to Vagankovskoye Cemetery. The walk was a bit over 4 kilometers, and since the weather was nice I was happy to be outside. (In Russia it's a good idea to take advantage of good fall or winter weather, because it doesn't stick around as long as anyone would like.)
Vagankovskoye Cemetery is older than the United States! 
It was established in 1771, after the Moscow plague riot in that year. It was established in an effort to keep the contagion from spreading, I have no idea how well it worked. At the time it was outside city limits; the city limits have since moved.
The cemetery is huge. Wikipedia tells me half a million people have been buried there since it opened, and there are currently 100,000 people buried there. Graves from the Battle of Borodino, the Battle of Moscow, and the Khodynka Tragedy are there. It is now a popular place for people from the elite sports and art communities of the city.
Many of the graves are extravagant, to say the least. If I was Russian I'm sure I would recognize some of the names of people buried there, but I'm not, so I don't.
I walked through different parts of the cemetery, mostly amazed by the burial plots. Many areas are slowly being reclaimed by nature, at least it looks that way to me. It makes sense to me, as keeping up a grave is time consuming, and a never ending chore. I'm sure there are rules on how often a plot is reused.
On Friday I walked to Red Square after school, for a couple reasons. One was to see the way the moon looked really big behind St. Basil's Cathedral, and the other was to see the seasonal decorations in GUM department store.

No comments: