27 September 2018

russia: moscow: pushkin state museum of fine arts


Moscow has a lot of museums. Moscow has a lot of art museums. Moscow has a lot of big art museums. I decided to use this Wednesday afternoon to visit one of them: the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts.
Despite the name, the museum doesn't actually have anything to do with Alexander Pushkin, the poet. It wasn't even the first name of the museum, his name only ended up on the museum in 1937, on the 100th anniversary of his death.

The museum owns a LOT of art, over 700,000 pieces. I assume they're not all on display, which means the museum also has storage buildings. There are early Italian paintings, Byzantine mosaics, sculptures, etc...
When I got to the ticket desk I was greeted with several different ticket options. I told the lady I just wanted to see the museum, so I don't know which one I got. 
After thinking about it, I think there is a separate price for the regular museum, as well as an option for whateva special exhibit is taking place as an add on, or just by itself.
The special exhibit during my visit was a lot of prints from a Japanese Edo collection. I went through that exhibit first, and quite enjoyed it.
Though I visited on a Wednesday afternoon, the museum was busy. I wonder if there is any time of the week or year that it isn't quite so busy. There were old folks and students, even some young sailors!
It took me over three hours to go through the museum. I'm pretty sure I missed a few rooms, but by the time I left I was arted out, and ready to leave. When it gets to that point there is no point in trying to see more, as I know I won't appreciate it the way it should be appreciated.
Exhibit halls were sometimes just as impressive as the displays themselves.
I imagine going back to the museum again, but probably not soon. Too many other art museums to see, just in Moscow :)


No comments: