04 July 2019

austria: a layover in vienna



I've been to Vienna before, this wasn't an intended trip, nor was it very long.
When I booked my flights to and from Sarajevo, the cheapest option gave me a long layover in Vienna. I basically had the entire day to explore the city. I wasn't as organized as I could've been, but oh well. Maybe next time?
My flight from Moscow landed in Vienna early in the morning, almost on time. Passport control went rather quickly, yay. I sat around for a little while, then asked the information desk how to get into the city by public transport. I also stepped into the grocery store in the arrivals hall, I'm a sucker for grocery stores.


It turned out to be very easy, and relatively cheap to get into the city center of Vienna. There is more than one S-bahn that goes from the airport into the city.
While back in Moscow I'd made sure to download offline maps to use, as I knew I'd get lost without this. My S-bahn took me into the city centre, into one of the main transport hubs. Just figuring how to get up to street level was 'fun,' as was figuring out which street I was on and in which direction I wanted to walk. I have a terrible sense of direction.


I walked through a couple parks, one of which had statues of various composers. I liked Mozart, and the way the flowers had been landscaped into the shape of a G clef. Needless to say, I was among many who wanted to take photos there.
When Bo and I were in Vienna a few years ago we visited a church with a great ceiling, I wanted to see it again. It took a bit of searching the map, then more walking, but I finally got there. When Bo and I had first seen the church it was early April, and still quite chilly inside the church. This visit was at the beginning of July, so temperatures were very different. I was hot, and the church didn't feel nearly as peaceful.


Throughout the day I kept stepping into bakeries, because I love them. I especially like Viennese bakeries, because they have heaps and heaps of pastries, not just bread. It's probably a good thing I don't have regular access to these kinds of bakeries. Even though I stepped into all these bakeries, I didn't get something to eat from most of them because of the heat. When it's hot I eat far less.
I realize this post is quite short, but that's pretty much all I did during this visit. Like I said, I wasn't nearly as organized as I should've been. It was easy enough to get the train back to the airport and continue my trip.
I'm totally okay with going back to Vienna sometime in the future, though it isn't on my must see list at the moment.



No comments: