09 July 2019

bosnia: jajce


My original plan when coming to Bosnia was to do several day trips out of Sarajevo during the days I was there, but only one of those day trips happened. Oh well. Since I was only in Bosnia for 6 days, I didn't buy a guidebook. To figure out where I wanted to go, I walked past the windows of several travel agencies and looked to see what kind of day tours they offered.
I chose to go to a town called Jajce. Learning how to pronounce the name was the first challenge. In Bosnian, the letter J is pronounced like an English Y. If I learned correctly, the name is pronounced: ya-i-tse. 
I was able to book bus tickets with the help of the receptionist at my hostel, it was a lot cheaper to get to the city on my own than to sign up for a day tour with one of the many companies in town. 
Jajce is a city of around 30,000 residents, approximately 160 kilometers northwest from Sarajevo. It's not that big a distance, but the roads were not straight, to say the least. I ended up getting very very motion sick while on the bus, both to and from Jajce, ugh. The drive was beautiful both ways, but I didn't get to see much of it since my stomach was rolling so much.
Jajce has a long history. People come to visit now because you can still see the old city walls, all the way around. 
Jajce was built on a hill, it would've been easy-ish to defend. The city was built in the 14th century, and was actually the capital of the Kingdom of Bosnia for a while.
After the end of the Kingdom of Bosnia, Jajce was seized by the Ottomans. Later on the Hungarians took over. Then the Ottomans came back. In the late 19th century this region became part of Austria-Hungary. From 1929-1941 Jajce was part of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, which later became a federal republic with several nations. (Those nations have always had their own identities as well, which is a big reason why Yugoslavia didn't stay together very long.)
Basically, Jajce has always had its own identity, but the ruling power has changed every so often. Wikipedia tells me the city is at a spot in the middle of 'borders' between different majorities: Bosnian Muslims, Bosnian Serbs, and Croats.
During my visit I didn't see evidence of the Bosnian war that destroyed the country during the 90s, but I'm sure Jajce suffered.
The bus ride from Sarajevo was a little over four hours, I was dropped off at a bus station/stop on the edge of town a little after 1100. When I got off the bus I realized I had left my camera on a bench in the bus station in Sarajevo. I was gutted, absolutely gutted. 
I knew I could replace the camera itself, but I couldn't replace the photos, which is what upset me so much. Argh.
There are two main sights in Jajce. One of them is a waterfall, the other is the walled city area. The waterfall was quite pretty, the city has built a viewing platform. It was quite windy as I got close, the water was flying all over the place. Since it was a warm sunny day, the water felt pretty good, but it was also hard to take a photo.
The best view of the waterfall was actually from the road into town, not the area that required an entrance fee. The waterfall is where the Pliva River meets the Vrbas River. 
Just outside Jajce you can visit a lake, and hike in the mountains, but I didn't have time for that, nor the transportation to do so. I wish I had.
Walking into the city I saw the way one of the rivers had been somewhat controlled with man made mini waterfalls. Very photogenic, especially as the water was a bright blue colour.
As Jajce was built on top of a hill, it seemed like I was always going up or down. There were plenty of stairs, and small alleys going between 'levels' of the streets. Nothing was in a grid pattern, so I never really knew where I was, oops. Thank goodness, Jajce isn't big, so it wasn't hard to sort it all out. 
There are different sights within the city walls, some of them have entry fees, others don't. I really liked the fortress area all the way up top, as I got to see out over the entire surrounding area. Mountains are beautiful.
I also entered an underground church, which had a small altar in front. The whole thing was really small, and if I hadn't read the information sign I wouldn't have thought anything other than 'hey, an underground room.' Even after reading the information sign I thought 'meh.'
I found remains of several other ruined buildings, but they were blocked off so I couldn't go in. 
Since the walls were collapsing, and the roofs had done so long ago, I could see why they don't want people traipsing all over.
There wasn't much more to see. I found a mosque, it was quite small. I found a few bakeries and cafes, but nothing sounded good. I ended up walking back to the bus station and waiting there for several hours. After throwing up on the way to Jajce, and having zero appetite the entire day, I was not feeling good, and not looking forward to the ride back. The bus back to Sarajevo left over an hour late, and I somehow got sick on the way back as well. Sigh.
I would like to see Jajce again, with a proper camera, more snacks, and my own transport :)

No comments: