31 July 2019

usa: indiana: pickles and a bridge



Pickles. I love pickles. Dill pickles, not sweet pickles.
On the day I drove from Chicagoland to Bloomington, I decided to make a drive a bit longer, and take a tour of a pickle factory.
Sechlers Fine Pickles is located on IN-1, technically in St Joe, Indiana. That being said, it's out in the middle of nowhere, in rural Indiana.


Anyone can visit the pickle factory and join a free tour that takes place several times a day. To join the tour you have to wear closed toe shoes, and put on a hairnet.
I ended up in a group with a couple families, our guide led us around the factory while pointing out the different steps in producing pickles. I liked the machine that split the pickles into spears, then shot them out into buckets.


After the tour I realized there is a slight smell of vinegar over the whole area. I wonder how often employees actually eat anything that is pickled.
When the tour ends you're back in the front office/gift shop. The factory produces more than pickled cucumbers, there are also salsa and other items. I was happy to buy raspberry and mango salsas.
My drive home started by driving further down IN-1, through more of rural Indiana. Beautiful in its own way. At one point I saw a sign saying a covered bridge was nearby, of course I made the turn onto a smaller road.


Spencerville covered bridge was built in 1873, and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981 after an extensive restoration. The information sign says it is still in use, but when I was there it was blocked off, as was the road to get close.
You never know what you'll find when you drive through the smaller roads of Indiana.



No comments: