26 August 2019

usa: illinois: chicago pt 8465


Since my summer plan was basically two weeks in Mundelein, two weeks in Bloomington, and two weeks in Mundelein, I knew I'd be going into downtown Chicago at least once during the second two weeks in Mundelein.
It turned out I went into the city more than once, which wasn't a surprise. The first time was to visit my friend Laura, with whom I worked when I lived in Seoul. She had a beautiful baby girl, and it had been a year since I'd seen here, so I took the train into the city and she picked me up at the metro station.
We started with breakfast at a diner, something I'll always enjoy, whether I'm with someone or by myself. Baby was quite chatty the entire time :)
Most of the rest of the day we hung out at her place, just catching up. Laura was still on maternity leave (being lucky enough to work for an organization that offers such a 'luxury,') so she had plenty to do around the house.
When I was younger I admit I didn't think too much of women who stayed home with babies, wondering what they did all day long. That impression was so wrong, as there is ALWAYS something to do when you have a newborn.
After a few hours Laura's boyfriend came home, so she left the baby with him and we went for a walk. We ended up at a bakery, which seems to be the norm for me, whoops. From there she went back to her flat, and I walked to the nearest metra station.
Then I made a mistake, I boarded the wrong metra train. I realized it almost immediately, but that mistake cost me more than two hours, and I didn't end up getting back to Mundelein until 1900 or so. Whoops. Oh well.
Another day I took the train into the city to meet up for lunch with a friend at the food court in Macy's. There is definitely better food to be had in the city, but when you're limited to a lunch hour you choose a place not too far from work. It was a nice catchup, we hadn't seen each other year in a year.
I was disappointed by the weather that day, as it was pretty rainy. It's not fun to walk around downtown Chicago when it is so gloomy and wet. 
I ended up shopping for clothes I don't need.
After shopping I headed toward Millenium Park. I know locals don't love the place because it's full of tourists trying to take the perfect photo at the Bean, but I still love it. The only advantage to the rain is that there were fewer tourists at the Bean.
From there I checked out a couple coffee shops, but didn't find anything that sounded good. It was an easy walk back to Union Station to catch the metra back to Mundelein, I caught the right train this time :)
The last time into the city was a half day 'trip' with Kelley and Jon. They drove, and were able to find parking that didn't cost a fortune. 
They'd learned about an 'oddities market' to see, which was fun to wander around for a little while. I'm not into skeletons and goth, so I wasn't interested in most of what was available, but I love people watching at all times.
After the market I convinced Kelley and Jon to walk to Bang Bang Pie and Biscuits, a pie place I'd heard about and Kelley recommended. I'm a sucker for pie. I couldn't decide what I wanted, so I got two slices. The place is popular, there was a line out the door for customers.
After getting our pie to go, we walked to an Asian restaurant called Fat Rice Kelley had heard about. I didn't love my soup, but her fried rice was really good. I wouldn't mind returning, as other customers were eating stuff that looked really good.
Chicago always has more to see and eat, I know I'll be back.

No comments: