04 August 2019

usa: indiana: new harmony and vincennes


New Harmony, Indiana is a very small town in southern Indiana. When I say small, I mean really really small. The 2010 census put the population at less than 800 people. I cannot imagine living in a town so small, but there are obviously enough people who will.
The town is in Posey County, which is the most southwestern county in Indiana. New Harmony is on the Wabash River, which forms the border with the state of Illinois.
New Harmony has been around for a long time, it was first founded in 1814, a couple years before Indiana became a state. 
They settled here because it was on the water, which was a necessity back then. At the time, goods were often shipped by water, and you were missing out if you weren't close to water.
George Rapp, the original founder, came from Germany, and early visitors to the area apparently mentioned feeling as though they were back in the old country. Though the community was originally founded by a religious group, the main focus seemed to be on industrial work. There were factories for a brewery, a distillery, and a wool carding and spinning factory.
The original founders of the town were there for only 10-11 years. When they decided to leave, they sold their land, and Robert Owen bought everything.
Robert Owen was a Welsh industrialist and social reformer, he bought the town with the plan of creating a utopian society. It didn't work, and crashed hard, but a lot of the ideas are still around.
Even though the Owenite group failed in their desires, they did things like open a free library, make schools open to both men and women, and more.
The town is laid out in a grid pattern, which makes it easy for visitors to get around.
I drove from Bloomington to New Harmony, about 130 miles in two hours, heading almost straight southwest. It was easy to find a place to park, there is plenty of street parking.
First up was a church, but not just any chuch. It doesn't look at all like a church, and if I hadn't known about it ahead of time I never would've thought it was a church. It's called a roofless church, and to describe it I'd say this: a giant coffee mug turned upside down, with the bottom (roof) cut out. Wikipedia tells me the shape is like an upside down rosebud, but I like my description better.
This church is a 'new' addition to the town, as it was only dedicated in 1960. It's an open air, interdenominational church. I'm not sure if regular services are held there, but I imagine it is used for special events from time to time.
The whole thing is in a small-ish courtyard surrounded by red brick walls. There is nothing but carefully tended grass in the courtyard, so your eyes are drawn to the church.
A bit further down the road was another new building, the Atheneum. It has a fancy name, and quirky architecture, but it seems to be a visitors and tourist information center. I went inside, and grabbed a paper map of town, but that was it.
There are hourly tours to join, but I wanted to wander around on my own.
One side of the Atheneum grounds is on the river, so I headed that way next. The banks of the river don't seem like a place for people to hang out, but maybe that's because it was just before noon on a hot and humid summer day.
I could see a bridge heading over the river, to Illinois, but as I got closer I could see that the bridge was closed, and falling apart. I wonder how long it has been in that condition. I wanted to walk out onto the bridge and take a few photos, as it would've been easy to go over the barricades at the end of the bridge, but I didn't want to get in legal trouble ;)
I walked back toward the visitors center, and found a labyrinth on the ground, near a cemetery. Imagine a hedge maze, with the lines on the ground, instead of vertical hedges. Does that make sense? It took some time to sort out the correct path to get out, which is the point, I suppose.
One of the buildings in the city center used to be a school gymnasium, and still had that architecture, at least on the outside. From what I could tell, it is now an event center, so I wasn't able to go in, darnit.
On one side of New Harmony I got to see the sight that is probably the most photographed sight in the town: a proper hedge maze! It was fun to walk through, and good to know that there are small gates you can open in case you lose patience for finding the correct path. By this point in the day I was having a hard time with the heat and humidity, sweat was rolling down my back nearly constantly. Gross.
Since I knew I needed to cool down, I made my way toward a building I knew was open: the library. This building had a library in one side of the building, and a local museum in the other side. Free entry, there wasn't any kind of entry desk at all, woo hoo!
I wasn't particularly thrilled with the exhibits, and normally wouldn't have spent much time inside, but the air conditioning felt fantastic.
After cooling down in the library and museum, I walked back to my car and started driving toward Vincennes. The drive was over an hour, a bit over 60 miles almost directly north, nearly entirely on state highways.
Modern Vincennes was founded in 1732 by French fur traders. It was named for one of the traders, Francois-Marie Bissot, Sieur de Vincennes. 
With this founding date, it is the longest continually inhabited European settlement in Indiana, and one of the oldest settlements west of the Appalachian mountains. The next few hundred years involved a lot of fighting between different European countries.
Native Americans lived in the area for thousands of years before Europeans arrived. Even though various groups of American Indians lived in the area for much longer than any Europeans, there is far less documented history of them.
Vincennes was the first capital of the Indiana Territory, until that was moved to Corydon in 1813. The city currently has nearly 20,000 residents.
Immediately after arriving in Vincennes I found a place to eat. A diner of sorts, combined with an ice cream shop. Is there any better combination?
I came to Vincennes because I wanted to see the George Rogers Clark memorial. It's huge, and is supposed to be on the sight of the former Ft Sackville. The fort was captured by Clark (and his men,) from the British during the American Revolution, so its an appropriate location for the memorial.
I found parking not too far from the memorial, thank goodness. It's a giant rotunda, with a big statue of the guy inside. 
Unfortunately I didn't think about going inside until just after the doors were locked and closed for the day, argh. The memorial sits on the banks of the Wabash River, in sight of Lincoln Bridge, which crosses the state border over to Illinois.
There is a riverwalk along the water, but the water itself isn't very pretty at that particular spot. I would've walked a little longer, but the humidity and direct sun was wearing me out.
On the other side of the memorial was a big Catholic Church, with a grand European, classical interior. I was thrilled that the front door was open and I was able to step inside for a few minutes.
The interior of the chuch was quiet, which I loved. The ceiling was fantastic, and I was able to climb stairs to a viewpoint over the entire sanctuary. Beautiful.
Not too far from all of this, I could see a local festival taking place. I didn't figure out what kind of festival it was, but I'm guessing something related to summer. There were vendors selling snacks like popcorn and cotton candy, families and friends hanging out.
Another sight I'd found on a map was the county courthouse, a building that is almost always quite grand in comparison to other buildings when you're not in the capital city of a state. 
Rather than try to sort out another place to park, I opted to walk. The streets between the Rogers Clark memorial and the county courthouse are probably considered 'downtown' Vincennes. They looked like small town main street, very quaint.
On the corner of the courthouse property I found a Civil War memorial, which was neat to see. I've long felt that Americans don't learn or remember much of the history of our own country, so memorials are a good thing. When you learn history you're far less likely to repeat it.
After that I walked back to my car and drove back to Bloomington. I don't think I need to return to New Harmony, but there is definitely plenty more to see and do in Vincennes.

No comments: