20 August 2019

usa: illinois: ft sheridan and waukegan


This post covers a couple small cities I visited in Illinois.
One day I went with Kelley to work, then drove a bit south, toward the community of Ft. Sheridan. Wikipedia tells me it is a residential neighbourhood within the three cities of Lake Forest, Highland Park, and Highwood. (Why a single residential area is part of three different cities is beyond me, but that's not the point of this.)
Ft. Sheridan originally came into existence as Fort Sheridan, an army post named for General Sheridan, a Civil War cavalry general. The army officially closed the main fort in 1993, then sold most of the land to commercial land developers. 
The housing buildings were sold as well, companies renovated them then created residential communities. Some buildings were designated as historic, which I think means they can be privately owned, but not drastically changed. Something along those lines.
One thing that didn't change is the veterans cemetery in one part of the property, it's still an active military cemetery.
A forest preserve was created out of 250 acres of the former fort. This was the area I'd learned about online, I wanted to explore a bit. Fortunately, there was a parkplatz so I didn't have to walk too far after leaving the car.
The preserve partly borders on the lake, so that seemed like a good place to start. You walk through some prarie grass to get there, then down a hill to get to the lakeshore. When I got there I saw how small the accessible part of the lake shore is, so I didn't stay long.
There is a cannon on display along this path, presumably memorializing the time when this area was of military significance.
As I climbed back up I saw a path heading off into the grasslands. I didn't know where it went, but hey, why not find out. 
A couple hours later I finally came all the way around the circle, having gone all the way around the property. Or at least as much of it as there was a path to be seen.
I walked through trees and grasses, all of it very quiet and peaceful.
At the furthest edge I discovered the cemetery I mentioned earlier. As I got closer and closer I realized there was a burial taking place, so I stayed as quiet as I could, and stayed outside the cemetery until it was over. The ceremony concluded with a seven gun salute and a presenting of the flag to the family of the fallen.
After walking through and around all of that, I headed toward the former parade grounds, which have been kept empty. There is a long building along one side of the area, with a tall clock tower. I imagine this was one of the former gates of the area? Not much to see other than the tower, but it was pretty.
After all that I went back to the car and drove a little bit north, to the city of Waukegan. It's an industrial suburb of Chicago, not on anyone's tourist list. I wanted to go there to see the beach and the lighthouse.
It was easy to get to the beach, and easy to find parking. Judging by the number of other people out there at the time, and their ages, school hadn't yet started in this area either. I went out to the beach and loved it. Not nearly as pretty as the beach I saw in Kenosha, but it seemed like a much better place to hang out.
Off to one side of the beach was a series of dunes. Some grasses were growing through the dunes, which was good, as the grass is what holds the dunes in place. As expected, walking through the dunes wasn't easy. There is a reason runners go to sandy places for good workouts.
The lighthouse I got to see was tiny, and I have no idea if it actually functions. Either way, I was happy with the photos I got to take.
After the beach area I went to a diner I'd found online. It might've been only a couple hours before dinner, but there is never a wrong time to eat at a diner :)
I'm pretty sure I won't be back to either Ft. Sheridan or Waukegan, but you never know. After writing this I realize how little I visited in each area, so it seems I really should go back and explore more. Hmmm.

No comments: